CHAPTER SEVEN

Luck works in strange ways

Luck works in strange ways. Sometimes it brings two long-lost friends together on a chance encounter, other times you might stumble across a shiny dollar bill in the street. But like most things, luck is a random surprise.

My problem with luck, however, is that you can't count on it, – it occurs sporadically – but that's fine, I'm prepared to work for what I desire. What really irks me, is that the odd times I do trick myself into counting on it, it fails me. Which brings me to: bad luck.

Which is exactly what I'm currently experiencing.

"You have got to be kidding me." The vein in my fore-head pulsates.

"It will be fine Lexi?" Ashlynn's hand curls around me, rubbing soothingly.

"I know I had to partner up with him at least once this summer, but on the second week? And after the strip show two days ago? Is god even up there?"

"Stop being so dramatic." Brooklynn rolls her eyes, picking up her schedule for this week.

"Says the girl who started this war," I deadpan.

"So sad, too bad." She leans against the wall, crumpling some of the notices hanging in the Administration Office in the process.

"Why am I even friends with you?" I mutter, shaking my head.

"Because you love me and we feel bad for Brookie. In case you haven't noticed, she's not exactly a people person." Ashlynn pipes up, shoving her sister good-naturedly.

"Can't she go bother some of her other friends though?" I tease.

"She could if she had any."

"Hey, you are supposed to be on my side." Brooklynn grumbles.

"But I'm not." I laugh, giving Ashlynn a not-so-secret, secret high-five.

"Alexis!" My head snaps in the direction of the shout, trying to work out who it was.

"Alexis!" It's then that I spot Tanner running towards me, hands waving frantically.

He reaches me moments later. "Alexis!"

I grimace, clutching my ears. "Tanner, I'm literally right beside you."

"Oh. Oh, yeah. Sorry."

"It's fine, don't worry."

"Okay, well I better be off then. I have something important to tell someone before I forget." He grins, moving to walk away but I reach out, my fingers clasping around his arm and effectively stopping him.

He looks at me confused, yanking his arm back and forth trying to regain control. Finally, he stops and frowns. "Um, Alexis? Can you let go?"

"No."

"Oh. Why?"

"Because I'm nearly one-hundred-percent sure that I'm the person you were looking for."