CHAPTER NINETEEN

"And now, far da moment ya've all  been waiting for, the bigges' event in da history of events—"

"Okay, yeah sure, just get on with it," Gianna interrupts, rolling her eyes.

"If ya think ya can do it better, you do it," he grumbles.

Gianna simply shakes her head, grabbing the envelope off of Al and getting ready to announce the annual camp competition's rankings so far. As anticipated, many campers sit on the edge of their seats, eagerly awaiting the news. Camp rivalry being so big between groups means that banter is a plenty.

Like last time, we're all situated around picnic benches in the courtyard looking towards where gianna and her husband are standing on one. We lap in the sun, the sky being particularly clear today. Most campers opting to wear shorts and vest tops, exposing their bronzed skin far darker than at the start of the summer. In the background, a faint buzz can be heard from the gardeners cutting the green grass that for once is absent of children. Overall, the bright scene is blissful, the sparkles from the sun reflecting off those who remembered to bring sunglasses.

Of course that meant I'm included in the bracket that forgot. So, I sit squinting in the direction of Gianna, cursing the fact she's standing right in the line of light, meaning I'm looking directly in the direction of the ball of fire and losing my eyesight.

I rub my eyes, zoning back into what Gianna's saying, "And in second place... Group Fortis with Colton Moreno."

I look back to Colton who frowns, looking confused. Guess he wasn't expecting that either.

"And in first place... Group Adventum with Tanner Brown! Well done!"

The crowd erupts in begrudging cheers and Tanner and his group run up to the makeshift stage. He clambers up next to Gianna taking the megaphone off of her before she can process it and begins what I think is supposed to be a speech.

"I can't believe it, this is a dream come true. Who would've thought that little old me — oh, and my campers — would've beat the big man Colt in this competition? Honestly," He points to Colton who's plastered a fake smile on his face. "this is all thanks to you and being so sucky!"

With that Al ushers him off the bench and declares twenty minutes free time before the next activity. We regroup until all nine of us are sitting — or rather squeezed — into one bench, watching our campers run off to their friends. Many chosen to join in on the large game of capture the flag that seems to have started.

Tanner smirks at us until Brooklynn pipes up, "Wipe that stupid smirk off your face, you idiot."

"You love it babe."

"I really don't."

"Prove it."

Brooklyn quirks an eyebrow. "And how do I do that dipshit?"

"Wipe it off." He continues smirking.

"Again, how?"

"I think you know."

  "Oh I do now?" She smirks back, her eyes twinkling.

  At this point, Ashlynn decides to interrupt, "I'd rather not watch my sister eat faces while I'm eating thanks."

"Don't watch then."

Tanner's eyes grow in surprise, Brooklynn sending him a wink and laughing while he become a light shade of red.

"You just want me because I'm a winner now. I'm sorry but I dont go for gold diggers."

"Tanner, just yesterday you basically declared you loved me when I had a full tub of Ben and Jerry's to myself." Natalia deadpans.

"That's different. The point is, I'm a winner."

"So we've heard."

"Yeah, but I beat Colton."

"We know."

"Okay but I dont think, you're understanding me, I—"

I drift off noticing Colton walk off in the direction of the forest, his shadow rolls across the dusty path behind him. Me, being the genius that I am, makes a quick excuse before trailing after him and somehow running into a low branch at the same time. I spit out the leaf, making a face before continuing further into the woods.

 I spit out the leaf, making a face before continuing further into the woods

Banner coming soon. (done) Exams finally finished so i do have time but not enough to make a banner or create a suitable returning a/n, grrrr! And bye!