CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

"You love me!"

"You love me!"

"No, I tolerate you."

"There isn't a difference!"

"Have you read the dictionary?"

"No because unlike you I have a life."

"Do you see any part of me that looks dead?"

"Only your soul."

"Honestly, I give up." Brooklynn throws her hands in the air, turning away from Tanner to Edna and I. "Who wants to help me throw him over the boardwalk?"

I laugh. "He's too heavy."

"I am not! I am a lean, mean, fighting machine!" Tanner cries out.

Edna chuckles patting his arm. "Whatever you say."

"There is a reason I'm beating Colton so far in the rankings, you know."

"You mean your team is beating Colton." Brooklynn states.

"Technicalities." Tanner waves her away.

I grin leaning back into my arms and kicking my legs over the edge of the walk relishing at the fact no children were to be seen or heard. Paradise is what this is, if you didn't count Tanner and Brooklynn squabbling just like little kids. But recently where you found those two; tension brewed. Which just led to more squabbling and Brooklynn currently shoving Tanner into the water with an almighty splash.

He resurfaces spluttering water and shocked, water drenches him from head to toe. "What was that for?"

"I felt like it." Brooklynn smirks, flipping her long, blonde hair over her shoulder.

I wipe at the speckle of water that has landed on my leg, sharing a look with Edna. There's definitely something going on between them.

Tanner clambers out of the lake, pulling himself onto the wooden slats not very graceful and leaving a puddle under him. "Your just jealous I'm going to win the prize."

"Again, your team is winning. And the prizes are for the children dumbass."

Tanner pouts. "Whatever, if I was still a child I'd get to come back next year for free and not have to feel guilty about it."

"Why would you feel guilty?" I ask, scratching my temple.

"No reason."

"Yeah, that doesn't make sense?" Edna prods.

He squirms but says nothing.

"Tanner..."

"Okay fine! But you can't tell anyone I told you, Colton will kill me!"

"Just spit it out already," Brooklyn's grunts.

"Right well there's a reason Colton won every year, the boys set it up that so that we would let him win," he mutters, looking away.