XVII

Six months had passed since the birth of Dorin, and the No Life King and Queen's lives had changed. Either of them would take turns to get up in the middle of the day to feed their youngling with his mother's breast milk that was pumped into several milk bottles before refrigerating them. One of them would wake up upon hearing Dorin's cries and went to the refrigerator placed at the corner of the sub-basement, which was insisted by the father who wasn't keen on letting anyone touch his son's food. After letting the milk heat up by placing the bottle in a container of hot water, they wiped away the water with a cloth and fed him after testing its temperature so that he wouldn't scald his tongue.

Although they had been doing this for the past four months besides having to constantly change his soiled diapers, they wouldn't mind doing these for the sake of their child, whom had bring them so much of colour to their immortal life. Whenever Alucard was away for a mission, his Queen spent her time by feeding their son, bathing him, reading bedtime stories to him, playing with him, and lulling him to sleep so that it gave her time to clean up the sub-basement and do some paperwork. When he returned from his mission, he would go straight to their sub-basement after submitting his report to Integra, and was greeted by the lovely sight of his lover taking a nap with the vampire youngling. It was a lovely change, and they wouldn't ask for anything better.

When Dorin was introduced on the first day, everyone welcomed him with open arms. When his father was away and his mother was busy with her work, some of the soldiers who had been loyal to the latter babysat him, making sure he was well-fed and protected from any harm, although he spent most of his time cooing from the little bed placed on the floor and staring at everything around him with curiosity. Seras was the one who took care of him the most, and needless to say, she saw him as her own little brother, one that she swore to protect for as long as she lived. For Integra, although she wasn't one to use baby talk on him like others, a small smile flickered across her face when she held him, for she knew how much potential he had as a Hellsing member, besides admitting how adorable he was.

But the most intrigued one of them all were the five young soldiers, especially Ray, who was closest to the sorceress. When they saw Frida walk into the living room with the bundle in her arm, they immediately dashed across the room and sat around her, who took a seat on the leather camelback sofa and was bombarded with many questions. Unlike before, she replied each of their now that she had definite answer, while some of them scooted closer to her to take a look at the sleeping infant. There were days when the mother allowed them to carry him in their arms, teaching them what was the most comfortable position to hold him. Despite having him yanking their hair and nibbling their fingers, the children loved him like a little brother they never had.

Now, what about Asmund? Needless to say, he was proud to be an uncle. He was a bit worried about his sister being pregnant, since she was the first Draculina to be pregnant, according to Alucard, so he wasn't sure whether her life would be in jeopardy. But the moment he held the infant in his hands right after she had given birth to him, his worries vanished and were replaced by adoration. Throughout the months, he would tend to his sister when she needed some medication for her postpartum recovery, as well as providing some physical therapy, as they were necessary to get her body in shape so that it could allow her to fight like before. While Alucard supervised her training outside, it was Asmund's turn to babysit Dorin, who was often found sleeping in his arms, staring and caressing the grass with much curiosity, or trying to reach for a fluttering butterfly with his chubby hands. The sorcerer found it oddly comforting even though the baby did such simple things, and wouldn't mind watching over him the entire day.

However, Alucard wasn't pleased to hear that his lover had to return to going on missions, and confronted their Master to argue about this matter. Why she didn't pick him or others instead of Frida was beyond his comprehension. Integra was doubtful about her decision and as reluctant as him, for she believed that Frida should stay with the vampire youngling for the crucial first few months of his development. But she had to. Judging by the records she had received from her soldiers, she felt that the sorceress was the best person to deal with the issue. Alucard wasn't liking the idea of having his lover, who had given birth to their son half a year ago, go on a dangerous mission outside of England alone. But despite trying all means to make her stay, the decision had been finalised.