XVI

With her knees on the ground while her hands were gripping the edge of the sofa, she bent over and shut her eyes tightly, clenching her teeth as she internally watched the pain strike before taking deep breaths to gradually ease the pain, just in time for another round of back and abdominal pains to kick in, and she repeated the whole thing as sweat glistened on her forehead.

Alucard could only watch his lover with a deep frown. She was nine months pregnant, and the baby was due anytime, which also meant that she had to endure a lot of painful contractions. He didn't like how useless he felt for not being able to help Frida, who constantly reminded him to not put the blame on himself because this was something that she had to go through like all mothers. He was beginning to wonder if it was that painful to actually make the mother of his child experience so much of pain when vampires were usually prone to pain, unless they were attacked with holy weapons. If that was the case, then there was nothing much he could do, other than delivering the herbal drink made by Asmund to her to relief some pain.

After a few minutes, Frida let go of the sofa and slowly exhaled, slowly easing the pain before getting up from the floor and sat on the sofa to lay on her side with the velvet red cushion supporting her head. The position she was in made her more comfortable as she heaved a sigh, placing her hand on her large protrusion.

Once she wasn't in pain, Nosferatu made his way towards her and sat on the sofa where Frida moved her legs to make room for him. He stared at her for a while before reaching out his hand to caress her cheek, brushing away some stray hairs from her face, not minding her sweat dampening his glove. "Are the pains getting worse?" he asked with concern.

Frida sighed with content when he stroked her hair, relaxing her after going through tremendous pain for almost a few minutes. "They are bearable." she assured weakly with a small smile. "But it is the sacrifice for our child that is worth enduring them."

Alucard only smiled back at her. If there was anything admirable about his Queen other than her warmth and kindness, it would be her optimism. As their son's due date was approaching, the unborn child was starting to become restless. His first movement hadn't been a gentle nudge. It started with a jolt that continued until the last few weeks of his mother's nine-month pregnancy. It was as if the force within her bump was battling to get out ahead of the scheduled due date. Then came the back and abdominal pains. There were days when she couldn't move from her spot for few minutes due to the unbearable contractions, and it was one of the worst she had experienced throughout her pregnancy. She would also become light-headed, with her vision blurry and blending everything together everything she had seen. Despite having to go through so much, ones that he wasn't able to understand or at least do something to ease them, she would smile and say that it would be worth it at the end, because they would be seeing their child once all this was over.

He watched Frida close her eyes and quickly fell asleep, feeling tired after having to bear so much of tremendous pain. Alucard leaned down and pecked her temple before sitting straight up, watching her sleep with a smile forming on her face, which caused the corner of his lips to slightly curve upwards. His hand then went to her bump, feeling their child kicking his hand like usual, making him chuckle at the sensation.

"How was she?" asked Asmund, who was standing at the doorway with another goblet of herbal drink for his sister to ease her contractions and make her body more prepared for the labour that would happen anytime soon.

"Still in much pain, but not as bad as five nights ago." reported Alucard with his gaze fixated on his sleeping Queen.

Asmund walked into their dimly lit room and placed the drink on the coffee table near the sofa. He looked at Frida, and then at Alucard, grabbing the latter's attention without even uttering a word. "Judging by the condition of her body, she might give birth tomorrow." he predicted after running through some tests and observing her contractions. "Which part of the day, I can't say with much certainty. But we will need to be prepared by then."