XIV

It was a cold winter night in Glasgow. Snow fell first, then came the frost. The streets were covered with snow, making them look as if they were made of silver, bright and glistening in the night. Although there was much snow, it didn't stop the two in their journey to save the sorceress they were so fond of. Ray, who had a knitted brown scarf wrapped around his neck to keep him warm in the cold, was trudging through the snow while Alucard effortlessly walked ahead of him, following the scent of his son's blood. The only thing that he could think of was saving his Queen and son. Whether it was a snowstorm or other distractions, he still had to go through them. If it ended up having his family back in his arms safe and sound, then neither of those things mattered to him.

Alucard heard the footsteps behind grew further from him. He stopped for a while to glance at the boy over his shoulder, and called, "Hurry up, kid. I don't have time to spare waiting for you."

"I'm coming, Mr. Vampire!" assured Ray while swiping away a bunch of snow blocking his way.

He stared at the boy long and hard. Frida often spoke to him about the five children working for Hellsing when she rescued them from the underground science lab. When he came to know about them, he was a bit skeptical about their abilities to fight and protect Hellsing, let alone holding a weapon. Although he wasn't around since their first day of training, the once a week supervision of their training was more than enough to showcase their abilities, and needless to say, he was impressed. It even got him thinking that these children were more capable than some of the adults soldiers in the line of Hellsing's defense.

However, if there was anyone that he was still doubtful about, it would be Ray. No, it had nothing to do with his abilities, for Alucard saw that he was as talented and good as the other four. But in comparison, he was the most gentle one. He didn't like killing as much as they did, even though he was hunting for ghouls and lowlife vampires. He preferred to follow the sorceress, whom he grew so fond of over the year of being taken care by her, to the gardens where he tended the plants and fed the animals that had taken a liking of living there. So for the most gentle soul among the five of them to volunteer himself of going on a potentially dangerous mission to save his Queen came as a surprise to him, and he wondered what made him step out of his comfort zone and risk his life.

"Hey, kid." called Nosferatu, diverting the said boy's attention towards him. "Why?"

"Why what?" questioned Ray with much confusion.

"Why did you volunteer to save my No Life Queen?" he asked. "What drove you to do so?"

The boy didn't answer questions. He stared at the snow-covered ground and let his mind run while Alucard watched with an unreadable expression. "Well," he began quietly when he made eye contact with the latter. "My parents hated me because I was a "mistake" child. I was at least ten years younger than my siblings, and they also hated me because they think I'm a pest in the family. One day, my dad sold me off to a group of scientists who tested on artificial vampiric abilities on me and the other children sold or abandoned by their families too. Only Luna, George, Harold, Oscar and I were alive when mom saved us from them. She was the first person, besides Luna, George, Oscar and Harold, to show me kindness. She was the mother that I've always wanted. I owe her everything."

Alucard then took note of the determination written across his face when he continued, "So when I heard that she was kidnapped, I thought that this could be something that I can use as a way to pay her back, for treating me like her own child. Even if it risks my life."

The former stared at him for a while before letting out a chuckle. With his gloved hand, he reached out the pat him on the head before ruffling his hair, causing an embarrassed blush to tint his fair-skinned cheeks. "Good." he muttered. "I see that despite your gentle and kind nature you've gotten from my Queen, you have a strong determination like our Master. I can see why my Queen often talks about you."