Book 2: By His Side: Last Chapter

Final Chapter

We watched silently as the coffin lowered, Amelia reading a delicate poem as all of us stood together, trying to be strong for the other while weeping. Saxon held my hand tightly in his; I needed all the support I could get.

Saxon and Connor wouldn't allow me to go with them to fetch Kevin’s body for a proper burial. Once they brought back Kevin’s body, we all headed back home. I knew something wasn’t right when neither Saxon nor Connor said anything about Callie being there, which only means one thing...she was still out there, but for now, for now we were safe and we were honouring Kevin.

Kevin was laid to rest beside his mother, his head stone a warrior angel staring up into heaven. Kia motioned to Connor and I nodded, he wasn’t doing so well since his brother died saving him, and Kia has been looking after him, sneaking in herbs into his drinks and foods to make sure he doesn’t fall into a deep depression or ‘wolf-out’ as she put it. Saxon was just as worried about Connor, but he hasn’t left my side since that night. I would lie if I said none of them feared me but from the way they moved around me and acted around me they were waiting for the explosion to happen and I was afraid it was still coming.

“Come on, the cooks made snacks.” Saxon whispered into my ear, I nodded and lifted the bottom of the long flowing black dress, to keep myself from tripping as we moved back to the trail and followed it back to the house. There weren’t many people who showed up for the funeral, but their nanny from childhood made an appearance as did old friends.

As we broke free of the trees, I could only see the silhouettes of the people who had attended the little funeral. I also saw Connor and Kia standing to the side, whispering like they were having an argument, I moved to stop them but suddenly Kia was laughing and I halted my movement.

“I’ll go fetch you some water,” Saxon said and walked over to the table, I took a seat among the few scattered around for the people to sit on. “Dear, I heard you told the other you want to write a child’s book of Kevin as the hero?” I nodded and motioned for Amelia to sit; she smiled and took a seat.

“I do have a friend who is wonderful with water paintings, he can paint you the pictures you need for the book.” While I did appreciate what Amelia was doing, this wasn’t the best time to talk about this, not while I was still trying to stop myself from curling up and crying the days away. “Just let me know when you are ready and I’ll call him.” I thanked Amelia and watched as she began talking to the people around us. Saxon walked back over, with Kia and Connor trailing behind.

Kia sat down where Amelia had previously sat but neither Connor nor Saxon took a seat, instead they remained standing. Saxon handed me a glass of water, I thanked him and turned to Kia since Saxon was already in a deep conversation with Connor about who knows what.

“How are you holding up?” Kia asked, her hands taking my free one. “I’m alright,” I lied, I wasn’t alright, I just wanted to break everything and scream and just let go of everything that was killing me slowly, but I couldn't, I would never be able to lose control cause losing control would mean to kill not only myself but those closest to me and I couldn't do that to them or anyone.

Kia squeezed my hand tightly, “That’s a lie and you know it, everything will be alright.” She said, sounding so sure that it pissed me off. “How can you be sure, huh? Cause I was sure the worst thing that could happen was finding out I could kill people by just using my mind.” I said in hysterics, Saxon and Connor did a quick sweep of everyone here to see if any of them heard me but they didn't pay much attention, probably thinking I was only breaking down.