Chapter 17

Chapter 17

“...I asked you to look after her!”
“We couldn’t get in, something was keeping us from entering. Just be glad we got there before she died!”
“You were suppose to keep her safe! For your sake I hope she wakes up soon or I’ll personally strangle you to death!”

 I opened my eyes, the yelling waking me up. I couldn’t see clearly and everything that happened before was hazy, like trying to remember a dream. My body was in pain and I couldn’t move my right arm, it felt constricted.

“Damn, just calm down... did you even see the mark?” The person sounded upset and confused along with worried at the same time. I could see better now but things were still a bit blurry, I wouldn't be able to read any kind of words.

“Yes, and it wouldn't be there if you did your job!” I recognized the voice instantly even with the hard, angered tone to it.

“Stop shouting, you're giving me a headache!” I whined and turned my head towards them. They froze in place and Saxon came over to me, relief clear on his face as he smiled sadly at me. Connor stood to the side and gave a small smile and walked out after locking eyes with Saxon for a minute, Saxon nodded and Connor left the room.

“What happened?” I mumbled, I tried lifting my head but it felt so damn heavy. Saxon tensed and sat at the edge of the bed staring at me intently. “What do you remember?” He asked, I thought about it, I remember going to the haunted mansion and then the picture and dream-vision thing and then nothing.

“Not much, I remember being at the haunted mansion then eating and then well...nothing.” I admitted, frowning. How can I forget something? He nodded but kept his eyes away from me. “Uh, you got marked by a Deahla, a death announcer. It got a hold of you when you got out of the bath at the mansion.” His voice was emotionless, but I saw the pain and sadness on his face.

“What does it mean?” I asked. Curious about what it meant to be marked by a death announcer. He glanced towards me and then looked down at the floor as if it would hold the answer. “It means that someone wants you dead and was crazy enough to ask a Deahla to mark you.” He hissed out between clenched teeth. It took a while for the words to sink in and when they did I was finding it hard to breath.

I closed my eyes and a face flashed before my eyes, “Where’s Jayden?” I blurted out, sitting up on the bed only to fall back down. My body was really weak and heavy, like someone filled me with cement. Saxon stood up his hands balling up into fists, “He was unconscious, so Connor took him along with all his stuff back to his house and wiped his memory.” He sneered, not liking that I was worried about Jayden. Guess there was no use in hiding the fact that I still feel something for Jayden, although it wasn’t that strong anymore.

“He’s okay, right?” I asked making sure. Saxon looked me in the eyes as he answered and I saw the lie clearly in his face as he nodded. He was hiding something, something he was suppose to tell me. Silence fell between us, he was glaring at the floor as I watched him silently.

“Do you love him?” Saxon asked, hurt clear on his face. “No,” I nearly shouted and it pained me to admit that it was the truth, I didn't feel anything towards Jayden. I loved him but as a brother not something more. I don’t know when I realized this, but I guess I did before the whole 902 thing started or the first night I slept with Saxon. I just didn't want to admit it.

Saxon looked relief and smiled down at me, sitting down next to me and taking my good hand in his, he glared at my arm that was wrapped up. “I'm so sorry this happened to you, I'm sorry I wasn’t there to protect you.” He whispered pained, I squeezed his hand and cupped his face.