13 √

Chapter 13| A Quaint Date and A Ravishing Rese

"You're going to have to tell her or let her go, you know." Russet said as we watched Celia get up close and personal with a stranger. I sigh, gripping the beer can tighter. 

"I know," I say quietly, knowing she could hear me over the roar of the music and laughter, "I haven't decided yet. Should I hurt her or scare her." I add, looking around the lake party. I knew that they were having a party sometime, just not today. I literally had to have Russet drag me away from Rese. The party was nice and all, but I liked spending time in quiet places better.

"So my brother's taking you out on a date?" She asks, and I smile down at the ground.

"He's not very subtle if you'd ask me. He's more excited than I am." I say and we both laugh, thinking about the idiot who was probably running around in a frantic state of mind. It was true that he was more excited than me. It wasn't that I wasn't excited, I was really excited because I hadn't been on a real date in a long time, it was just that Rese was obviously much more excited. 

"No, he is not," Russet agreed, "But you have to give him credit, he's really trying for you." She adds, and I nod. I know he was really trying. After I had told him that everything completely sucks, he's been trying to get me to smile every second of the day. It got annoying at times.

"He really is trying for me," I say, looking over to my right. I smirk, nudging Russet, "New couple 12 o'clock." I mutter, and she looks over, seeing Charlie and Col laughing and talking by the fire. Russet and I look at each other with a knowing look, but before we can do anything, Celia comes over and ruins our plans before they can begin.

"For what reason do you two have that evil looking face on?" Celia asks, taking my drink for herself. I scoff, shoving her a little. That was my drink. 

"We don't have evil faces. We were just talking 'bout Cole and Charlie." I say, and her head snaps over to where we were looking. She grins, looking back at us, and before we can do anything to stop her, she starts to run towards the lake. The lifeguard at the party saw her, and he gawked as she jumped right into the freezing cold water. Russet brushed past me, laughing at Celia as she jumped in right next to her. Then the whole herd followed them, and soon enough, the whole lake was teeming with people. But I wasn't about to get in the water. I had a date later.

"You used to love water." Someone said, and the hair on the back of my neck rose up. I looked over, but I stayed rooted in my spot as I saw the guy from the woods, and from my dreams. I stared at him for a long time, watching as he stared at all the kids in the water. 

"I love water, I just don't want to get in today." I defend, and his lips twitch up. I feel him look over at me, and I stay still as he grabs a lock of my hair, twirling it around. 

"Ah, the date. He's very persistent about doing everything right. At first, I thought he wasn't going to be good enough for you, Little Lykos. But I assume he told you everything." He says and I nod, ignoring his words about Rese. Rese was more than I deserved in three lifetimes.

"Ambassador for the Moon, what a fun job I have," I mutter, and he grins at me. I hesitate on asking my next question as I turn towards him, his hand dropping. "You were in my dreams–Not like that–and you knew my mother. How'd you know her?" I ask quietly, and his grin drops into a small smile. 

"I loved your mother," He says, sighing a little, "What was there not to love about her? She was perfect like you are, and she was the one who passed on the Moon Kissed trait to you." He adds, and I tilt my head to the side, my eyes softening.