22

Chapter 22| A brilliant Explosion

"Oh my god! Salmon, you look so handsome!" Russet squealed as she put a little jacket on Salmon who looked like he was enjoying himself a bit too much. I groaned, rubbing my face tiredly.

We had been out shopping in the freezing cold for at least two hours now, and all we had managed to find was a pile of dog clothes for Salmon and some for Milo who was back home. Russet argued that they could be Christmas presents.

"Russet, please, can we just go shopping for ourselves. I think Salmon has enough clothes." I groan and Russet scoffs, patting Salmon's head, grinning at me. 

"Fine, but when Salmon runs out of clothes, don't come crying to me." She says and I smile in amusement, pulling Salmon away from the counter. 

"I won't." I tell Russet as I walk towards the door that led outside. I ignored the stare Russet pinned me with as I walked, holding onto Salmon's leash tightly. I looked down both sides of the street and then I suddenly grinned as I looked up, since it was snowing now. 

I stepped out into the empty street, spinning around as Salmon tried to catch the snowflakes. I laughed, looking up at the dark sky as the snow fell silently around me. My mind went silent as I just enjoyed the moment. 

"Lina, you goof, get out of the road before you get run over!" Russet yelled, laughing at me as I smiled at her, prancing off the road and back onto the sidewalk. "Where do you want to go?" She asked, and I shrugged looking down either side of the road. 

"Left." I tell her as Salmon begins to pull me in that direction. As we walk down the sidewalk, we both look around at the cute city. The snow just added to the stunning effect that it left on us. 

"What time is it?" Russet asks, cutting through the silence, and I look down at my watch, my eyes almost bulging out of my head. It had been a lot longer than two hours that we had been out. I looked up at Russet, at a loss for words. She looked at my watch and then she squawked at me, grabbing my arm. Salmon stopped, looking back at us curiously. 

"It's 2 am!" We both screech at the same time. No wonder I was so fucking tired...

"Well, let's get going then! Mom's going to beat me!" Russet screeched, cutting through the calming silence. As she started to pull my arm, I stopped, digging my heels into the snowy sidewalk. Russet looked back at me like I was insane. 

I looked from left to right, in front and behind me as I felt the hair at the base of my neck stand on end. Something was wrong...

I pushed Russet behind me as I got close to the wall, feeling something coming closer to us. Salmon went on high alert a second later, a low growl slipping from his muzzle a second before I growled as well, not seeing anything but a snowy landscape. 

But then I saw a flash of brown slinking from the park across the street from us, and I almost shifted then and there. I looked back at Russet.

"Russet, call your dad." I tell her sternly, and she scrambles to pull her phone from her pocket as I quietly growled, watching as the wolves slinked through the forest, heading towards the mansion. I counted twelve, but there could be more hiding further in the park.

I could hear the phone ringing as Russet called her dad. She handed it to me as it stopped ringing, but it wasn't Mr. Alvaro's voice that I heard. It was Rese's. 

"What?" He asks, his voice groggily as if he had just woken up. I almost forgot it was two in the morning, and he had probably been asleep. 

"Rese," I say and the line goes silent, "there are twelves wolves heading towards the mansion right now. There could be more, but I couldn't count that far out without letting myself be known to them." I say and I hear sheets ruffling, and a light being flicked on.