15 √

Chapter 15| An Unlikely Friend

As soon as I came back to consciousness, I was up on my feet and snarling at darkness. My eyes dilated, and I looked around wildly, seeing anyone was going to attack me.

Where was I? Who was that girl?

I snarled again, backing up into a corner of the dark room, listening to things around me. I heard the constant drip of water on the other side of the room, and I could smell something rotting. It had the smell of a basement.

I looked down, noticing that I hadn't shifted out of my wolf form when I was knocked out. Maybe it was because my natural instinct was to stay in the strongest form until I was safe. I was definitely not safe right now, and I had to protect myself in wolf form.

My eyes snapped up as I heard someone cough in the room, and I looked around once again, raising my hackles as I heard a slow heartbeat on the other side of the dark room.

"Please be quiet. They won't feed us if you keep snarling." I heard a woman's voice whisper, and my snarl halted instantly. I let my eyes adjust to the darkness and then I saw the woman sitting in the opposite corner as me, her legs pulled up to her chest. My hackles flattened and I chuffed at her, licking my muzzle as I sat down. "You've been asleep for about two days and they were beginning to think that the blow had killed you." She added, and I looked her over critically. She was wearing torn clothes and there were bruises all over her body. She looked beaten and tired.

My head snapped over to the left as I heard a groan and then a light began to flood the room as a door was opened. I scrambled over to the corner where the light didn't touch, and I sat down and waited for the right moment to strike. Through the darkness of the corner, I saw that my eyes began to glow. The woman looked terrified as she stared at my looming figure.

"Get up!" Someone barked and the woman stood up, "Where is the bloody rat?" He snarled, a buff man stepping into the room. I looked around the room in the light and there was nothing but puddles on the ground.

"I–I–" The woman stuttered out, and she must have taken to long to answer because the male strode over to her, and slapped her hard. I raised my hackles at his violence and because I smelled wolf on him. He was threatening me by being close. I had never felt it with Rese or his family, but with this male, there was a strong urge to defend myself and attack him.

"Where is she, bitch!?" The male snarled at her, and a low, threatening rumble vibrated in my chest as I decided now was time to announce my presence. The male spun on his heels at the sound, and he froze when he saw two glowing amber eyes glaring daggers at him.

He then smirked, and I snarled at him as he flicked out a knife. I pushed myself further into the corner, my nails scraping against the floor as I grounded myself. There was nowhere to go.

"She's awake!" He taunts, walking towards me. I give him a warning snarl, but he keeps coming closer and that defensive instinct swells inside my chest. As soon as he gets within swiping distance, I lunge at him. I hear the woman gasp in surprise and fear as I sink my teeth and the male's shoulder, causing him to roar at me angrily, his knife trying to find a home in my flank. I whipped from side to side, tearing through his skin as he stumbled back.

The woman stuck a foot out and the male fell backward, his head hitting the wall. I took the chance to release him and bite down again on his chest, my claws digging into his skin. He screamed in pain as I viciously tore through him, holding nothing back as I did so.

I heard boots running down the hallway and people yelling right as I felt the knife dig in through my flank, sinking between two ribs. I let out a sharp whine, my bite loosening as my eyes went wide with pain.