28

Chapter 28| At Eight Then

"I told you that you would love him, didn't I tell you?" Siras asked as we jogged through the trails that twisted through the forest. We had been doing a lot of running lately. It had been three days since I had gotten my army from Siras's father. I had, of course, came back and told him first, and then I had told Rese and the rest of the alphas after calling a meeting. 

 I rolled my eyes as Siras looked over at me with a waiting expression. 

"Yes, you told me, Siras." I drawled out with a sigh, and he smirked at me, making me roll my eyes again. I wasn't even tired of running anymore because I have been running for my life over the past two weeks. But I knew that soon I was going to be dying on the front lawn. 

"So now you have the army that will fight for you, and you also have the packs that will back you up. I think you're about ready for war." Siras comments and I stay quiet, staring ahead at the path. Siras turns and looks at me with furrowed brows, "Starshine, you are ready, right?" Siras asked and I looked over at him, hesitating before I spoke. 

"What if he wins?" I ask quietly, and Siras stops both of us, putting a hand on my upper arm. As I look down at the ground between our feet, Siras leans closer, tipping my head up with his fingertips on my chin. 

"Starshine, there's no reason to be scared of losing," he says quietly, "He's facing an army much larger than anything he has. He isn't going to win, alright?" He tries to assure me, but I pull away from him, running a hand through my hair as I look around the forest, knowing that some of the wolves had to be watching. They had become little spies over the last few days of preparing for war. But they had kept to the shadows and out of my way. 

"But what if we lose, Siras? No one has talked about would happen if we lost." I ask him, raising my voice as tears begin to line my eyes, "What if he wins and we lose? What if he finds me and–" I stopped myself from speaking out loud, but as the thoughts ran through my head on rapid fire, Siras's eyes darkened with hellfire, and he took a giant stride to stand in front of me. 

"When I was three years old, Calina, my father began to train me how to fight," He says quietly, his hands wrapping around mine, "When I turned sixteen, I was the best fighter in Canada. He started to teach me how to fight so early on because he knew that not only was I going to be powerful and I needed to learn how to control the power, he always knew that when the time came I would need to be able to defend those who I love." He says and I hold the tears back the best I can, but they were beginning to win.

"I don't want to lose you if you die trying to protect me." I tell him, shaking my head, and his hands leave mine, and they come up to cup my face, the warm and gentle fire spreading out against my skin, blocking out the cold that surrounded us. 

"Calina, we are going to lose someone we love regardless of the defense we take to protect them, you have to understand that," He says and I let out a pitiful sobbing sound and I shook my head, "Yes, Calina, you know it's true. We are going to lose someone, and we are going to have to carry on with our lives when they die because we have to continue. You have an army to command, Starshine, and you have a monster to fight. You have to carry on when someone dies next to you as you're fighting." His words make my heart hurt, and I stare up at him as tears begin to cascade down my cheeks. 

"I can't lose anyone, I'm not strong enough, Siras," I tell him, shaking my head, "I can't." He smiles sadly, his thumbs wiping away tears that fell from my eyes. 

"That's where you're wrong, Starshine. You are so much stronger than you give yourself credit for, and I have tried to tell you just how powerful you are, but I get it wrong every time because you prove to me that you are stronger than I thought before," He tells me firmly, and I watch as his skin begins to shimmer with dark shadows that curled around him, "I know that you're scared that your going to lose someone–lose me–but I have a little secret to tell you. There's no reason to be scared of losing me because I'm the heir of Hell, remember? I'm the son of Death, the king of the North. They can try and kill me, but I will always come back and burn them. I'm The Shadow Kissed, Calina. I can and I will protect you. Always." He smiles as he says it and as he laughs when he sees my flash with remembrance, I smiled halfheartedly, placing my hands over his as they laid on my cheeks, flushing out the cold.