17

Chapter 17| The Avocados Burned

The sky was light when we first heard the sounds of cars speeding down a road. I was the first one to come out of the tree line, seeing the main road from Rese's house to mine. The wolf cautiously followed me out of the cover of the forest.

Instantly, cars stopped, drivers and passengers, watching awe as I crossed to the middle of the road. I looked down each way, trying to determine where I was on the road. I veered to my left, and without warning I took off, galloping between the lanes to avoid traffic. The wolf followed me with a disagreeing whine, but I ignored his advice, booking it down the road. Cars came to screeching halts, trying to see what ran past them, and I only stopped as I heard someone. 

"Holy Hell. Calina?!" Someone asked, barking out my name. I came to a halt, my head whipping around. I tilted my head, but my feet started to move again when I saw it was only Gavin.

 I needed to find Rese. I needed to find him. I took off at a gallop again, the wolf following me with disapproving howls. I ignored him again. 

As soon as the giant house on the hill came into view, I took off sprinting, my feet barely touching the ground for a second as I flew off the road, my whole body aching as I climbed up the embankment as fast as I could. I didn't even know what day it was. 

Rese might not even be at his house. I felt my chest tighten as the thought of not being near Rese for another second started to tear me apart. 

As my paws touched the driveway, the wolf howled at me and as his tone changed, I finally stopped, looking back at him. 

I only had a second to scramble back as a giant grey wolf lunged at me, tackling me into the ground. I howled in pain as he bit down on my shoulder. 

My fight mode flickered on and the wolf yelped in surprise as the Moon Flames burst out for a second–enough to get the wolf to let go of my shoulder and jump off me. I heard the door open as I scrambled to my feet, snarling at the wolf angrily. I felt my hackles raise and the grey wolf lowered his head a little, snarling at me. 

"Calina?" I heard someone ask in a quiet whisper and my whole body froze up. My head whipped around, and before any warning could be given, the wolf lunged at me again, taking hold of my neck, and slamming me into the ground head first. 

The world around me spun and blurred as the wolf ripped his head from side to side, his paws digging into my chest. I laid there for a second, my head pounding, and then with a low rumble, the Moon Flames came out full force, scorching the wolf instantly. I ripped my neck away from the wolf, sliding out from under him as the flames devoured his fur rapidly. He howled, spinning around, trying to put them out. 

I stood there, my whole body tense as the flames rolled off me with a loud roar. I watched as the grey wolf rolled, successfully putting out the flames. 

I didn't have time to attack him before the wolf came up from behind, latching onto the grey wolf's flank. The grey wolf let out a whimper as the wolf started to drag him to the hill and without hesitation, I watched as my wolf friend tossed the grey wolf off the edge, letting him roll down. 

He didn't get up when he stopped. 

The wolf turned to me, and he took one step, looking determined, but then he stopped, watching silently as I whined.  My shoulder was bleeding and I could feel the rest of my body was on fire, burning from the inside.

 The Moon Flames disappeared and my ears pressed back against my skull. 

My vision blurred and black spots started to appear. I shook my head with a chuff, clearing it up.