Chapter 34

Demona’s point of view

When Eros started to stir, I woke up as well. We opened our eyes at exactly the same time, our gazes meeting. He stroked my hair and smiled lazily. When he tried to turn up my face by cupping my cheek, the movement made him flinch. Surprised, Eros reached for his head instead, touching the sore spot where Simon had hit him with the frying pan – the idea of my compassionate, loving, peaceful bondmate wielding such a strange weapon almost made me giggle, but then I realized the severity of the situation once more. Eros’ face darkened when last night’s events came rushing back to him. His body immediately stiffened and tried to edge away from me.

“Oh no,” I protested, pulling him back. “You don’t get to do that.”

“It’s not smart for you to be in here with me,” he said, his jaw tight. “Why didn’t Simon stop you?”

“Like anyone could stop me,” I replied with an eye-roll. “Besides, he’s the one that helped me into bed in the first place. He doesn’t even blame you for what happened.” Okay – that was stretching things a bit, but I knew Simon was well on his way to forgive Eros.

“Yeah right,” Eros scoffed. “That’s why he hit me over the head with a bat.”

“Frying pan,” I corrected.

“How’s Kevin?” Eros asked when he had processed that surprising detail.

“He’ll live.” I couldn’t be bothered to worry about that ass-hole right now. Not when Eros was obviously slowly withdrawing from me. “How are you feeling? Is the poison gone from your system?”

“He poisoned me?” Eros asked with a grunt. “Remind me never to piss off Simon ever again.”

“Will do,” I laughed, pressing a kiss to his cheek before putting my head back down on his chest.

He shifted uncomfortably and pushed me away from him. “Look, Dem… I’m really sorry…”

“Don’t be,” I said before he could go on. “Long since forgiven. I’m fine.”

“You’re not.” He gave me another gentle shove, which almost rolled me onto the floor.

I grumbled and carefully slid out of bed. The bruises were already fading and most of my muscle soreness had ceased from the good night’s sleep. I would be back kicking ass in no time. I sat on the edge of his bed even though he kept protesting. He couldn’t force me to go away, so eventually he just gave up. The poison was almost out of his system, but he was still weak. Simon had really done one heck of a job.

“You should steer clear of me for a while,” Eros told me, averting his eyes. “I still can’t believe…”

“So you didn’t black out?” I asked him. “You were really out of it. I thought you might not remember everything that happened.”

He shook his head. “I remember every single detail.” His eyes pressed shut like it caused him physical pain to remember his own actions. “Your screams, how you tried to get me off… I’m so sorry, Dem, I wish I could promise you this will never happen again, but I’m not sure I can keep that promise. I guess Simon was right after all when he stated I was dangerous.”

“That was last year!” I exclaimed irritated. “Seriously, do you really think he would be okay with us being together if he still thought you were dangerous?”

“Maybe…” Eros took a deep breath and refused to look at me even when I told him to. “Maybe we should take a break.”

“A break from what?” I asked, my voice tight.