Chernobyl

“Tarnov, I am ascending the stairs. I have a reading on the floor above me, meet me up there.” said Yuri.

“Copy that.”

“This is Anna, I have movement on that floor, three figures, about 1.2 meters in height.”

“They could be Barkers..use caution.” said Serginsky. Yuri cautiously started up the metal staircase. The air was filled with a thick dust; they mingled with other particles of unknown nature. Despite his secured hazard gear, he could almost feel the air irritating his throat. He gripped his AK47 once more to relieve some lingering anxiety. He flinched when the reading on his optics grew stronger. There is Gallo Quartz here.., he thought, Good, we’re not leaving empty handed this time.

“Confirmed, they’re Barkers. They just shifted to the East wall.” Anna reported, her voice crackled over his earpiece. “I think..two pups, and one alpha.”

“I could take the pups, but the alpha is going to be a problem.” replied Yuri.

“I’m almost to the top of the east stairwell.” said Tarnov.

“Copy that, I am at the west door.” replied Yuri.

“I am scanning the floor.” said Tarnov. “Yes, there are Barkers here…and something else..” Tarnov’s scanner showed the three Barkers in the center of the large floor..his scanner also picked up two figures that seemed more human. “Serginsky, are there any records of humanoid mutations?”

“Hold on..there are some bits of information but nothing solid. Just some surveillance photos of what one team assumed were drifters.” replied Serginsky.

“I don’t think those were drifters…” Yuri uttered under his breath.

“Why do you say that?” asked Tarnov.

“Because, they were alive…long enough for someone to take one or more photos of them…” Yuri stopped when he heard lough shuffling from inside the room. Then a series of loud footsteps of what sounded similar to a large animal. Just then, something big stood by the door..he could hear something sniffing the air through the threshold. Yuri quietly held his breath. The other teammates could see what he was seeing via their synced optics. They all went silent on the radios, as not to alert the Barker. These creatures had really good hearing; so good that they could hear the chatter over the radios. Teams have recorded them hearing radio chatter at a maximum distance of 5-15 meters, and actual physical communications at a maximum distance of 1-3 miles. These beasts measured a little over a meter in height, and were a mutated derivative of Canis and Canis Lupus Familiaris. Obvious changes are that they can now stand on their hind legs, increase in size, as well as ferocity. They do tend to travel in a pack manner, as well as hints of increased intelligence but these have never been confirmed.

Anna could see the dust being trashed about on her optics, the threshold that Yuri that now stood in front of. She trained her rifle on a third floor window near where the other two Barkers were standing. Flipping a switch on her rifle, she activated a high-powered LED light. Setting it to flash/repeat, she was able to catch the attention of the two Barkers. The alpha gave out a low howl, catching the attention of the one near Yuri. It turned back towards its pack mates and ran back to join them. The loud thunder of it running from one point to another shook the floor startling Yuri and Tarnov They all then grouped at the window where the light was coming through. Nobody knew what about the light was so mesmerizing, some likened it to how cats see little red dots but still all it was speculation.

“We almost lost you.” Tarnov said with a chuckle.

“God knows that the door wasn’t going to mean anything to that fucker.” replied Yuri.