I'm Not Allowed To Fall In Love

You may want to roll your eyes after the next sentence but just hear me out. My name is Dave, I am nineteen years old, and I know I will never have another relationship or get married.

You see, around five years ago I just went through my first and only break up. I told my friends I dumped her for a hotter chick, but the truth was. She dumped me for my step-sister, but how was I supposed to tell my friends that? That’s about the most embarrassing thing ever. My step-sister, who was a year younger than me, managed to steal my girlfriend.

Of course, my mother knew about it and was more than supportive to my sister, but she still felt bad for me. She came into my room and put 50 dollars in my hand and asked if I wanted her to drop me off at the mall for a couple of hours. I slowly nodded my head and started to get ready.

On the way to the mall, I texted my 5 friends and told them to join me. My mother tried talking to me while we drove there, but I just silently stared out the window. When we pulled up to the entrance to the mall I got out of the car and slowly walked in. Before my mom drove off she yelled out, “I love you, Dave!” I glared her down until she drove away.

I was there for two hours by myself. None of my friends texted back and I was getting ready to call my mother to pick me up when I saw the prettiest girl I have ever seen. I don’t know what came over me. When she walked past me I started to follow her. She looked at me and gave me a smirk before turning around and planting the most passionate kiss I have ever felt in my life. My arms were flailing for a couple of seconds before the feel of her lips, the light coconut scent of her hair, and the warmth of her embrace made me lose track of everything. My arms matched her embrace and I was truly happier than I have ever felt in my life. It felt like days flew by before she pulled away from the kiss.

She gave me a short laugh before asking, “If you liked that. Why not just go ahead and promise to be mine forever?” I was a teenager and my teenage hormones were bouncing all over my body. I didn’t care how weird her question was. After taking a deep breath I asked, “How do I do that?” She grabbed my hand and asked, “Just say yes and I will do whatever needs to be done.” Without a second thought, I answered with a quick, “Yes. I want that.”

She gave me a smile before her body started to melt. I shrieked and tried to jump back but my hand was stuck to whatever she had become. Soon she became a puddle. A puddle of flesh that surrounded me.

Slowly, the liquid started to rise from the ground, and slither up my leg. I tried to slap it away but it easily avoided me and continued to crawl up. I tried yelling but my throat wasn’t responding. Instead, I found myself sitting on the bench with my mouth wide open. Whenever I wanted to struggle my own body fought against my urges and kept me still until the liquid started to pour into my mouth.

The taste of copper filled my mouth and I started to gag, but the liquid kept flowing down my throat. After around 10 to 15 seconds the remaining liquid went into my mouth and I regained control of my body.

I called my mother and told her to pick me up before I ran into the restroom and tried to puke whatever was inside me out. I threw up my lunch and even part of my breakfast, but the liquid girl stayed inside of me.

For the next couple of months, I monitored myself, but nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary. It still annoyed me seeing my sister making out with my ex but I got over it. For some reason, I was actually a little bit happier than I normally was. I was a lot more outgoing; I started to excel in all of my classes and quickly became one of the more popular kids in my freshmen class.

Of course, this drew the attention to several girls, which I did not mind. I wasn’t really interested, but out of nowhere, a girl named Molly caught my eye. She was shorter than average, blonde, and completely perfect to me. We started to spend more and more time together. I asked her out about a month later, and to my delight, she said yes. That was almost the best day of my life.

That night, while I was lying on my bed thinking about how hard I fell for Molly I felt something rise out of my throat.

I quickly closed my mouth and tried to swallow it back down, but the taste of copper came out of my mouth and a small glob of liquid bounced out of my mouth. I jumped out of bed, turned on the lights and looked around the room, but I couldn’t find anything there.

After looking around for a while, I became too tired and fell back asleep. The next morning when I woke up I got ready and my mother drove me to school. When I got to school I noticed something was off. Kids were acting normally until they were stopped by a teacher in the front of the school. They turned around and started to walk back to the car they were dropped off in. I ran up to a kid that was in my History class and asked him what was going on.

He shrugged and said, “They said someone died in our school.” I asked him if he knew who it was, but he just shrugged his shoulders again and walked back to his car. Later on, while I was watching the news Molly’s face popped up on the screen. I dropped the remote on the floor and continued to stare at the screen and hear about what happened to her. She was found in the middle of my first classroom. She had an envelope in her hand. They were investigating all of the tapes, but all they saw was her stopping in the middle of the class and grabbing at her throat. She fell to the ground and squirmed around for a couple of seconds before her movement stopped entirely.

It took me over 2 years to get over the death of Molly, but for some reason, I felt like I was never truly alone.

I tried dating another girl, Grace, about three years ago, but I was never really into the relationship. She really tried to make the relationship work, but something inside of me was pulling me away from her. After several months of seeing her suffer I wanted to cut it off with her, but when I walked up to her to break up with her the next day I froze in my steps. This was the girl that really went through months of torture to make me fall in love with her, and I really did start to love the girl. The love that I haven’t felt since meeting Molly.

I walked up to her and grabbed her close to me before planting a kiss on her cheek. I whispered “I love you” into her ear and for the first time. She truly looked happy.

The day flew by. After school, we walked around the school parking lot for hours and talked about everything important and stuff that was completely trivial. I loved every single second of it.

When I got home, I immediately started to text her and we talked until around 1 AM. Right as I put my phone on my side table and started to drift off I felt nauseous. I tried with all of my strength to hold it back, but no matter how much I tried I felt the same taste of copper come out of my mouth. Right as a cup full of goo expelled out of my mouth I jumped right on the spot I thought it landed on but it was gone.

I tried texting Grace to be careful, but I started to feel the liquid come out of my mouth again. I started choking and tried to grab whatever was in my throat with my fingers but before I put my fingers in my mouth I felt it rush out of my throat.

It was the girl that I saw at the mall. I tried reasoning with her, but she raised her hand and a blur flashed across my face. I woke up the next morning to a bunch of texts on my phone. They were all about Grace. She was dead. She was found in her room. I called her brother, John, on the phone and through sobs, he described out how he found her. She was lying on her bed. He hands were around her neck. Her face was completely blue. Her neck had several gashes. Her blood surrounded her dead body. He swore up and down that he saw a pinkish liquid coming out of her mouth.

She was the last one I fell in love with. I have tried everything I can to stay out of the way of anyone I felt like I had a chance of falling in love with. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and see the girl I saw at the mall. The girl that is now a permanent part of me. No matter how many times I have seen her I can not describe what she looks like. All I know is that she is everything I desire in a woman.

Like I said. I tried really hard to stay out of the way of love, but just the other day, I met a girl. Her name is Amber. I helped her study for her communications exam. She gave me her number and we are going out to a movie. I hope I don’t fall in love.