The Seer Of Possibilities

Sometimes, otherworldly beings find interesting ways to try and contact you. They might use a Ouija Board, or maybe come to you in a dream, or sometimes they speak through another person. They each have their own style and preference that's particular to them. The one who contacted Jack spoke to him through his computer, or, I guess you could say the communication was through onscreen text. The first time it happened, Jack had been sitting at his computer playing Solitaire. A blinking red light from the router indicated that his internet connection was down again. This was at least a weekly occurrence, and Jack was getting used to this spotty internet service. As he moved his cards, the game faded into a solid black screen and the red text appeared.

"Hi Jack, I need a favor from you. You're a very special person and I know you'll help me. I can't ask this of just anyone. I really need your help."

Jack paused for a second. The router light was still blinking red. "Is this some sort of joke?" He couldn't help but wondering.

Several moments later the message continued, "Yes Jack, I know this is weird for you. But I don't want you to worry. This is just a small, easy favor I need. I'll make sure you're rewarded."

Now nearly in a panic, Jack reached around and pulled the internet cable completely from the wall.

"Still here, Jack. I don't want to waste any more of your time so I'll get right to what I need. Tomorrow when you go to work I need you to move the large potted plant that's next to the elevator on the ground floor. All you have to do is pull it out three inches from the wall. If you do it at 8:17am nobody else will be in the area."

Jack sat there, refusing to respond, still trying to figure out what was happening.

The writing continued, "Look Jack, I'm asking you because I KNOW you'll do it. You won't let me down. You're special. We'll talk tomorrow."
Jack pulled the power cord from the wall and the computer went blank. "Did that really just happen?" he thought.

Still shaking from the experience, he took a warm shower and got ready for bed, convincing himself that he'd either had some crazy dream or that is was just some elaborate joke. But who would play that kind of joke on him? He didn't really have friends, or enemies.

He woke up the next morning feeling refreshed. Work would start at 8:30am, and Jack was never late. He pulled into the parking lot at 8:10am. Normally he'd just go right in, but the message had told him to move the plant at 8:17am. Was he really going to do it? Overnight, Jack's fear had turned into curiosity. Let's say he moved the plant, he wouldn't be doing anything wrong or illegal, right? In Jack's mind, the most reasonable course of action was to move the plant. He'd do it, nothing would happen, and he'd be able to put this whole crazy matter behind him. One minute before 8:17 Jack left his car and walked towards the building. He entered the foyer at the exact time he was supposed to. The message was right, nobody else was around.

"Odd," Jack thought. The building was normally busy this time of morning, but this temporary lull had been accurately predicted.

"Fine! Let's see what happens," Jack muttered to himself.

He walked up to the large potted plant placed firmly between the two elevators in the lobby of the ten story building. The plant looked like it was fake, a decoration people passed every day without really noticing. It was heavier than Jack realized. He put some might into his effort and pulled the plant out three inches to his best estimate. He stood back and looked at the plant, then looked around the lobby. People were coming in behind him now and the lobby was starting to fill up again. Nobody seemed to notice the plant was in a slightly different location, nothing seemed different at all. Jack skipped the next elevator and waited, waited for...something. But nothing happened. Finally Jack entered the elevator and made it to his 7th floor cubicle, on time like always.