The Gift Of Giving

As she turned around with her new possession, she felt a strange, coursing power run through her arms. She poked her head out of the alleyway and looked both ways. The only person she could see was a single homeless man shoving a near-empty shopping cart.

She opened the book, showing the first page. Printed on a strange, thin, yet leather-like page, just a single word.

INRI.

As she read it to herself, a heavenly glow came from the page, as the word turned from deep red, to a clean white. Raising from the page and leaving a misty trail behind it, the light worked its way directly across the street from the alleyway.

It was a beautiful house. High end for sure. Bright blue and white coloration, Christmas decorations hung all over it. She couldn't understand what the light was attempting to show her, but she felt an urge. An unplaceable, tormenting urge. The sort of urge only the taboo can truly give a person. She had to get a closer look.

Taking her first cautious step out of the alleyway and onto the sidewalk, the homeless man apparently couldn't see the light at all, as he was looking in her direction, now sitting on the cold, snow covered asphalt.

As she went to take her first step unto the road, she jumped at a car going well over the speed limit speeding past her, nearly hitting her. Cursing to herself, she watched as two police vehicles drove at the same speed past her.

Had they really not noticed her? The angel's change wasn't some sort of cruel joke? She felt joyous, but also filled with curiosity. What of the book?

She ran across the road as fast as she could, before whipping around. The homeless man was in the fetal position, attempting to keep warm. His cart had only a few cans, most of which were most likely empty. She felt terrible. She had been there.

Curiosity beat sympathy, though. Running up to the largest window in the front of the house, she could see a family sitting around a radio, listening to some sort of show. The usual nuclear family, of a father, mother, and a son. Fireplace burning next to them, and a couch next to a staircase going up. It had a nice brown and white interior. A nice piano sat in the hollow place underneath the higher portion of the stairwell. They had a beautiful Christmas tree in the corner between the fireplace and doorway, but back enough the flames did not risk burning it.

The husband was a large man, and would pose a threat very easily. Short brown hair that was all facing the back, he looked like he walked into a gym years ago and never walked out. The wife was just as much as a looker, in her scarlet red dress, with her long ebony hair reaching past her shoulders. Their son, your typical kid. Looked about six. Very short black hair.

When she started imagining all of the things she could find in there, the light came once more from the book, and went around the house. She reluctantly followed. Running between the house and the seemingly vacant house next door, she entered their surprisingly empty backyard. There was a back door entrance, and another window.

Looking in the window, she could see that the room on the other side was the kitchen, and that the family was in the room beyond that, through an empty doorway. The light continued to the door, and she followed.

She couldn't exactly think of what it wanted her to do, but she went with what she assumed. Putting her hand on the doorknob, she attempted to open the door, only to find out it was locked. Pulling her hand away, the light covered the doorknob, before moving into the keyhole.

A faint click was heard, and the doorknob turned by itself. When the door opened, no sound was created. Now, it was obvious what it wanted of her, but she could not piece together why. Why would the angel want her to enter their home uninvited? Was her lifestyle not that evil in his eyes?