26: Famous Last Words

Kira~
4am. Christmas. And I was still wide awake. That last couple days have been hectic with me starting to drive, school ending for break, and insomnia every night for three weeks. I groaned and climbed out of bed, wrapping myself in my Twenty One Pilots blanket. I went downstairs and quietly searched for a mug and some hot cocoa.

        After getting my items, I went out onto the porch. I was excited for Mikey and them to come tomorrow and show Mikey my new guitar. As I opened the door, I noticed a figure standing there.
        The figure looked at me and the light from my phone illuminated their face.
        "Hi." It was Dean. I stood there, not sure what to do or say.
        "Wanna sit?" He pointed at the swinging bench we had on our porch. I wrapped my blanket around me and sat down, sipping my cocoa. The snow was falling softly and it seemed soothing to watch.

        "So, how's life?" I looked at Dean and pursed my lips.
        "Fine." Honestly, life wasn't fine. Life was the opposite of fine. I didn't go to school, I never eat, I spend most my time in bed.
        Gerard tried to get me out of my slump but even the man I trusted everything with had failed. I even broke my promise towards Gerard. I rubbed my wrist with my thumb and sighed.
        "How's college?" I honestly had no clue what to say to him.

        "Fine," he shrugged and there was the awkward silence again. "Why'd you break our promise?" I looked up at him and he picked up my wrist.
        "I-" he rubbed his thumb across my wrist and I felt my lip tremble.
        "Did I cause this?" I looked down and felt a tear slowly roll down my cheek.
        "It's not just you," I whispered and looked up. "It's not having friends, it's the whispers and the gossip and the drama. I have no one except my family." My cheeks were covered in tears and I finished with a quiet sob.

        Dean wrapped an arm around me and pulled me into his chest, rubbing my arm as I cried. After awhile, I pulled away and rubbed my eyes, yawning.
        "Kira?" I looked at Dean and he stared for a few moments before pulling me into a kiss. It lingered for a few moments before he pulled away. "Oh, my God, I've missed that so much," I smiled as I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. "I am so sorry for hurting you. I fucked up so badly and I hurt my best friend." I looked at Dean.
        "I don't care about that now. I'm just happy to have you back."

        I looked out and saw the sun was started to rise.
        "I better go back in. In case Gerard or Lindsey wake up." I stood up and walked towards the door. I looked at Dean and he smiled.
        "I've missed you." I smiled back.
        "I've missed you, too, Dean." And I quietly went back inside, creeping up to my room. I laid in bed for awhile until a smaller body ran in and jumped on top of me!
        "Wake up! Uncle Mikey is here!" I sighed and got up, wrapping myself in my blanket.

        We walked downstairs to see the adults talking.
        "Someone was up in the middle of the night," I raised an eyebrow at Gerard. "There's a cup and an empty packet for hot cocoa. That wasn't there when I went to bed." I smiled sheepishly and sat down next to Mikey.
        "Alright, my parents should be here soon and then we can open presents." Bandit groaned and sat down next to Gerard.

        After a while of catching up with Mikey and Kristin, Don and Donna showed up and Bandit jumped up, organizing presents. She handed me mine and gave everyone else theirs. We all enjoyed each other's presence as we opened presents. But was happened early this morning was still lingering in my head.
        "Kira?" Mikey pulled me into reality and I looked at him. "You okay? You zoned out?" I nodded and smiled.

        The first real smile I've given anyone since last winter. Gerard gave me a look and I noticed one more present.
        "I figured you needed a new one." Gerard smiled as I grinned.
        "Thank you so much!" I hugged him tightly as I pulled the iPhone 8 out of the box. I moved my SIM card to it and turned it on.

        This was definitely an amazing Christmas.