11: It's Not A Fashion Statement, It's A Fucking Deathwish

Kira~
Donna was happy to have a granddaughter she could have real conversations with.
        "I'm sorry you didn't get to come for thanksgiving." I shrugged.
        "I didn't want to get everyone sick so it was best that I stayed home."

        Donna smiled and showed us our rooms.
        Gerard and Lindsey were in Gerard's old room, Mikey and Kristin in Mikey's old room, and I had the guest room while Bandit slept on the floor in Gerard's room.

        After dinner, the adults talked while I took the responsibility of putting the girls to bed. I read them four books and then told Bandit that if she didn't go to bed, Santa wouldn't bring her gifts on Christmas. Rowan fell asleep during the second book so I just stuck her in her crib. I laid in my bed for awhile but just couldn't fall asleep. It was about two in the morning when I wrapped myself in a blanket and went to sit on the porch.

        Turns out, I wasn't the only person thinking the same thing. I opened the door and went to sit when I saw Mikey.
        "Jesus Christ! You scared the shit out of me." Mikey gave a half smile and gestured to a chair next to his. I sat down and sighed, the cold air feeling great against my face.
        "Can't sleep?" I nodded and looked at Mikey.
        "Just a lot on my mind from the past four weeks." I messed with the arrow ring I was wearing.

        "What's happened in the past four weeks?" I looked at Mikey again.
        "Well, did a presentation on my life and the foster system, this girl spread a rumor about me and everyone turned against me and I had an episode which included Gerard yelling at me," I closed my eyes and leaned back.

        "Then I got sick, Christmas came around and then two nights ago, I had a dream about my best friend and I love our friendship and I didn't want to tell him about this dream but then there was this awkward tension yesterday and then we talked and he kissed me and umm, yeah." I fiddled with my ring some more.

        "So are you guys dating now?" I shrugged.
        "I don't know. I guess we'll talk about it when I get home? I don't know." I sighed.
        "When you said you had an episode, did you?" He trailed off and I looked at him.
        "I self-harmed and then I tried to overdose but Gerard heard me screaming and stopped me and we had a short screaming match before it turned to me crying and him comforting me." I felt awful about that.

        "He cares about you," I looked at Mikey. "He thinks of you as if you were his own child. You've got his spunk and spirit and I admire that about you." I smiled.
        "Thanks, Mikey. You're a great uncle." He smiled. A real smile.
        "Thanks, kiddo." He sat in silence before the door burst open and Donna popped her head out.

        "Why on earth are you two out here?! You're gonna catch hypothermia!" She had us come inside and gave us each a cup of cocoa before sending us to bed. I laid down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I smiled before falling asleep, cuddled into my blanket.

~~~~~

        It was Christmas morning and not only Bandit came and jumped on my bed, but Gerard and Lindsey came in and yelled at me to get up.
        "Ugh, fine!" I sat up and rubbed my eyes before sexually harassing the table for my glasses.
        "They're on the floor. Here." Gerard put my glasses on me and I wrapped my blanket around myself before shuffling to the living room.

        "Coffee?" Donna handed me a cup and I took a sip, sighing at the wonderful liquid, filling me with energy. Bandit started sorting the presents and handed us our piles.
        "Before anyone opens their presents, I want to give this to Kira as a Christmas present and an early birthday present," Gerard handed me a large envelope and I opened it and slipped the paper out.

        "It took a few months but I was able to officially change your name to Kira Elizabeth Way." I stared at the paper for a few moments before jumping out of my seat and hugging Gerard tightly.
        "Thank you, Dad." I whispered into his ear before going back to my seat. We all laughed and smiled as we opened presents and I knew that this was the family I was meant to be with. I knew I was meant to be a Way.