♣ Chapter 37 ♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

___________________________________

          For a brief moment, all I can do is listen as James's footsteps retreat in the opposite direction, and he disappears in the grove of trees. My brain is telling me to move and follow him but my legs refuse to cooperate, and my heart tugs at the sight of the woman slowly dying in my arms.

          "T-that...w-went...w-well," she gasps, coughing up blood, bringing me out of my stupor.

          Gently, I stroke her cheek with my thumb, as tears burn my eyes and stain my face. Blood coats her blouse, her chest heaving as she stares up at me with sorrowful eyes.

          "You shouldn't have done that," I manage to say, my voice cracking.

          "I had...to try something," she strains out. Tears roll down the side of her face, dripping onto my jeans. I lower my head until our foreheads touch. Her choking breaths and soft, nervous whimpers are all I can hear, aside from the constant pattering of rain on the trees' leaves above us.

          "I love you," she croaks, reaching up and cupping my face, pulling me closer and kissing me. Then, her hands fall limp and her body becomes heavy as her breathing slowly comes to a halt. Her eyes remain trained straight up at the sky, holding no life in them, her mouth ajar after parting from the short, momentous kiss.

          "No!" I choke out, cupping her face. "Please, come back to me. I love you, too." Tears flow like a ceaseless river, dropping onto her face, as I weep over her lifeless form.

          James would harm – or kill – anyone that stands in his way of getting what he wants. Regardless of the fact that the same blood runs through our veins, I'll never forgive him for doing this, for ending Chloe's life, for taking what may have very well been my child away from me.

          As Chloe passes, nothing but a growing fire deep down within burns with ferocity. My heart aches, my feet are weak, and my eyes burn from the continuous flow of tears drowning my face. Carefully laying Chloe's head on the forest floor, I shut her eyes as I bite down on my lower lip. I stand, my eyes closed as I draw in a sharp breath. Then, exhaling, I open them and glare, not at anything in particular – but with a burning desire for revenge.