♣ Chapter 36 ♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

___________________________________

          "Where do we go from here?" Megan asks as we sit on the ground. Her head rests on my chest and her arms are wrapped around my torso. My arm drapes her shoulder and my chin rests atop her head.

          The rain pattering on the thick leaves of the evergreens echo all around us. Water drips from the bark of the tree we're braced up against, onto our heads and down into small puddles on the forest floor. Although bleak, there's a calming aura settling in amongst the surrounding trees, colourful and radiant flowers blooming in the small bushes, despite the weather.

          "I'll find somewhere for us to go," I mumble, brushing her silk, wet hair. I consider for a moment and then speak again. "What you did before, that was really dangerous. Why did you run off without me? You could have injured yourself or died."

          She cranes her neck back, shamefacedly looking up at me. "I'm sorry," she whispers. "I was lost in the moment of pain and anger when I found out about the other exit."

          "What?" I gasp, looking down at her and frowning. "No, I'm not talking about that. I meant what you did on the highway." I chuckle and kiss the top of her head. "Trying to signal the people in that vehicle would have been a mistake, you know."

          She nods in understanding. "For a moment, I just wanted to get away from you because you deceived me."

          "But, technically, I didn't lie," I state, holding up an informative index finger. "I just...withheld the truth so that we can have a little more time together."

          "You call a few days a little?" she chuckles.

          "Well...it worked, didn't it?" I snigger, giving her form a tight squeeze. Looking up at the departing storm clouds, the rays of the sun beaming through a few clearings in the sky, I sigh, leaning my head against the trunk of the tree. "But, all jokes aside, we need to establish some ground rules."