♣ Chapter 12 ♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

____________________________________

          "I hope my house is still in the condition I left it," I say, holding the phone up with my shoulder while packing my bags.

          "Of course it is. Why wouldn't it be?" my brother asks, chuckling.

          "Where's Jesse?"

          "She left to go get some stuff at the grocery store," he replies. "She'll be back in about an hour. When are you coming home?"

          Zipping up the filled bag, I place it on the floor and begin the pack the last one. "I'll be home soon," I answer. "In fact, I'm in the middle of packing right now. There was an incident here the other day - a maid's body was found in the boiler room."

          "What?" he exclaims, and I can hear something tumble on the other end of the line. "What happened? Are you okay?"

          "I'm fine, nothing happened to me."

          "Was it a murder or a suicide?" Greg asks.

          "We don't know for sure, but Vincent is trying his best to find out what really caused the girl's death," I reply.

          "So, the police don't know as yet?"

          "No, and he doesn't really want word to get out about it so you can't tell anyone. Do you hear me?" I ask.

          "Yeah, sure. No problem." He takes a breath before continuing. "Meg, I think you should leave right away," Greg says in all seriousness.

          "But I can't just leave."

          "And why the hell not? Meg, listen to me," he says. "If people are dying around you, then that means you're in danger. Come home, and if you say no then I'll have no choice but to come for you myself." I burst out laughing, trying not to be loud. "What's so funny?"