♣ Chapter 14 ♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

___________________________________

          It is late in the day and Vincent hasn't yet returned from his important meeting. The opportunity to investigate the room of interest is finally here and I won't let it go to waste. But then it occurs to me that the door to the attic is always locked. I'm only aware of one person with a key to that room, and that's the man that owns this house – but he's not here right now.

          Sitting on the bed in my room, I think of how else I can get into the attic.

          Is there anyone else in the house with a key? Hmm... I tap my chin and suddenly, Shelby's wrinkle-filled face pops into my head. She has a bunch of keys strapped to the belt around her waist. But how would I get it? They're always attached to her; I would have to get close enough and that would only make it obvious what I would be trying to do. Maybe I can convince Oliver to get the keys. I mean, he already suspects someone to be up in the attic, so he wouldn't have a problem with me trying to investigate.

          Suddenly, a knock comes from the door.

          "Hey, Meg, it's me, Oliver. Are you awake?" he asks.

          "Come in," I say, rising from the bed. The door opens and Oliver enters, hands behind his back, contrition written all over his face.

          Bringing my brows together, I frown at him. "You look upset," I verbalize my observation.

          He sighs. "Look, I'm sorry about jumping to conclusions about Vincent earlier. If you're still mad at me, I understand. But I just wanted to let you know that I'm still pursuing him in an effort to find out who he's harbouring in the attic."

          I give him a gentle smile. "It's okay, Oli. I'm not mad at you anymore. In fact," I say, patting him on the shoulder, "I have decided to do a bit of digging myself."