♣ Chapter 21 ♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣♣

___________________________________

          Banging against the door for Vincent to let me out of the room doesn't seem to be proving fruitful. I have to get out of here so that I can save Megan. If Vincent thinks that calming his brother would do him any good, well, then, he's surely got another thing coming. I can't just stay locked in this room while knowing that there's a possibility of him dying. Losing Amelia was hard enough; losing Vincent would devastate me, even though I know he withheld the truth about my sister's death. And worse yet, if Megan dies, then there might as well not even be another reason to live.

          With an aggravated growl, I spin on my heels, looking around the room for any possible escape. The window first catches my attention and I briskly make my way over, fidgeting with the locks. Successfully unlocking the window, I push the glass pane outward. The chirping birds and chattering squirrels in the distance, as well as the feeling of the chilly, early-morning breeze, would all seem to be something soothing for the nerves of people that are on edge, but at the moment, nothing can calm me down more than if I know Megan and Vincent are safe.

          Peering out, I look to see that it is a long way down and in my current state, I don't think I'd be able to make it.

          Come on, Oli. You can do this!

          Taking a deep breath, I climb up to the window's level and place one foot on the ledge outside. My heart thumps erratically in my chest, my legs wobble, and my hands tremble. I bring my other foot out onto the ledge, too, and try to stand firm, not looking down. I glance to the side and reach out, with one hand, to grip a metal pipe.

          Alright, Oliver, you've come this far. There's no going back now. You've got to do this, especially if you ever want to see Megan again.

          About to swing me onto the pipe, in order to slide down into the yard, a shout hinders my movements.

          "What the hell are you doing?!" the familiar voice shrieks.