Chapter One: 7 Years Before

"No please don't leave me," My best friend Daniel cried as I hugged him for the last time. I was seven years old when I had to leave everything behind in Lansing, Michigan to start a new life in California because of my father's new job.

"I promise I will call you every day, and don't forget to send letters every week okay? I won't forget you. I'll miss you Danny," I wept as my best friend's arms wrapped around my shoulders. I felt safe in his embrace and wished I could stay like this forever. I didn't want to admit it, but in the years I had known Daniel, I had developed a major crush on him which, to my seven-year-old self felt like love.

I clutched onto Daniel as if my life depended on it, only breaking apart when my mother grabbed me and pulled me towards the car. When I turned to look at her I noticed her face was stained with tears, since she too was leaving a part of herself behind too. I was still holding onto Daniel's hand when I got to the car, only letting go when my dad closed the door. I looked into his tear filled eyes, trying to commit every detail to memory as he seemed to do the same as his eyes roamed the same face he saw every single day since the day we were born. 

"Come on... We're going to miss our flight if we don't leave now," My mother called from the front seat of the car as my father stuffed the last of our belongings into the trunk. Looking back at Daniel for the last time, I finally accepted that this move was happening and there was nothing I could do to stop it. 

"I love you..." He had said it so quietly I almost missed it, but his last confession was not lost to me. I blew a kiss to him as the car moved and he caught it and placed his hand to his heart as I waved till he was just a speck in the distance and the dust had covered our tracks.

I gazed out the window, watching the familiar neighbourhood blur past; the happy childhood we were leaving behind. Sighing, I held the simple dolphin pendant that hung around my neck. The last present Daniel gave to me before leaving. "Don't forget to swim with the dolphins," He had told me when I found out we were moving to California.

Throughout kindergarten and school, he was always there when I needed him. If I was upset he'd crack silly jokes till my stomach hurt, or if I was mad at a girl he would help me pull pranks on her. We were the dynamic duo, inseparable since birth. We spent all of our time together and now we were going to be miles apart, it just didn't feel right. 

From the corner of my eye I could see my mother wiping her face with a tissue and retouching her make up, sniffling every so often letting me know that she was just as upset as I was about leaving. My dad on the other hand was trying so hard to be strong from my mother, masking his emotions as he lay a comforting hand on her knee.I always wondered that if we had stayed would Daniel and I have had the same relationship my parents had. That after being together for 17 years, were still completely in love with each other since the day they met back in high school. 

My brother didn't show any emotion as he held my hand in the car but I knew he hate the move as much as I did. He was always better at seeing the happier side of every situation, and soon we were all smiling as we boarded the plane all because his positive attitude was so strong none of us could ignore it. 

This was the first time I had been on a plane, so at first I was apprehensive about the journey but soon I was losing the battle with sleep, waking only when we touched down a few hours later. When I took a step outside, I was greeted by a blast of warm humid air, something we weren't so accustomed to back in Michigan. It was refreshing to say the least.

The cab stopped in front of a beautiful house, modern and spacious. Once we had unloaded the cab and paid the fair, we walked towards our new home, ready to start the next chapter of our lives.

My first priority was to call dibs on the bedroom, but I knew my brother would comply to any of my wishes if I just asked nicely. All the rooms were airy and spacious, filled with plenty of natural sunlight and the warm sea breeze. The room as it stood was plainly decorated, perfect for the vivd imagination of a seven year old.

Painting my room pink was already out of the question; I was never the girly type since I grew up primarily around boys. My favourite colour has always been turquoise. Just like the sea. As child I dreamed of going to the beach and swimming in the cool waters but we never traveled much since my dad was always working, so summers used to be spent either at a camp of some sort or just hanging out with Daniel. 

I secretly thanked my parents for buying a seaside house, for choosing the perfect isolated area of the beach to relax on. The garden housed a beautifully serene looking pool, ideal for the days when the sea was too dangerous to swim in. I stepped into the garden taking in the openness of the area, glad to be outdoors, where my heart truly lies. 

The summer passed quickly with the stressful move and getting acquainted with the new neighbours. Before we knew it, I was standing in front my full length mirror getting ready for second grade, preparing myself for the first time in three years to take myself to school alone.

We had a routine on the first day back, where I would be eating breakfast, waiting for him to get out of bed so that we could take the school bus together. His mother would make us stand in front of the door to take a picture of us. 

First days were always hard for me due to my shy personality, but with Daniel by my side I wasn't so afraid. The school here, however, was a lot bigger than the one back home and with Daniel not standing next to me I wasn't sure how the first day was going to turn out. 

At lunch I sat alone since I was unfamiliar with the kids around me. I stopped eating when a cheery girl bounced up to me and sat down without an invitation. "Hello! Are you the new girl? My name is Taylor, what's your name?" She placed her tray beside mine, taking a sip of her chocolate milk.

"Um... My name is Maddison." I told her shyly, looking at my own food. 

"Great, you can be my best friend." She grinned at me. I found myself smiling back at her as her bubbly enthusiasm had me following her as she urged me to come and play with her friends. She took my hand and led me to the playground, my lunch long forgotten. From that day, I never looked back. The friendship between Taylor and I indeed blossomed, with her presence filling the void Daniel had left. She was the sister I always wanted, attached at the hip, totally inseparable. 

I had a new life here, and I was ready to enjoy it as much as possible.

*****************************************************************************************************

So this is the first chapter in my new story!!

Count this as a little background on the main character, Maddison- or Maddi as you will find out later. I don't want to reveal too much, but there's going to be a whole lot of love and a whole lot of drama. Read on to find out what happens to Maddi and her friends. 

Please COMMENT and VOTE!! It will mean a lot to me! 

N/B I have been reading your comments, and lots of you have been saying that it is too mature for a seven year old- but I'm writing this as the past, so she is not seven year's old when this was supposed to be written. Think of it as Maddi narrating her life story. A seven year old can observe things and remember something so dramatic, so its an older Maddi writing about when she was younger- like a diary :)

Thankies

Neha

UPDATE 19/04/2016: I'm finally updating this book. It's in dire near of proof reading and heavy reconstruction. My writing style has changed a lot since I first wrote this at the age of 15, so I need to level up this book. It's not going to be perfect, but it's something. Please don't forget to comment and vote if you like it and if there are changes that I have missed that I need to do. 

Thanks so much

Neha 

5/10/16