26.

-Hey...he heard a soft voice.- H.
-Hi H. What happened?
-What do you remember?
-A guy with scissors??
-Yeah. Very good. And then?
-Assuming that this is hospital and I'm laying in strange position, he stabbed me.
-Yeah. Anything else?
-Calleigh....is she alright? -Speed turned to H fast, but pain in the back stopped him.
-Yeah. She's fine. She's testifying.
How are you feeling?
-Fine when not moving. What really happened?
-He stabbed you, yes. We've got him. Calleigh is ok, so is the girl.
And you will be fine too.
-I will?
-Yeah. The wound is deep but away from the main arteria. Few stitches and painkillers and you will be like new- he smiled.
-Thanx H. Will you tell Cal to come when she's finished?
-Sure. Take care.
-Yeah. You too.
Calleigh appeared shortly after.
-Hi - she hugged him I was so afraid...
-No worries. I'm fine. You?
-Yeah me too.
-What was that?
-I dont know. It all happened so fast.... I didn't think he's gonna do it, when I entered you were kneeling down, bloodied.
-Yeah, I made a mistake. I didn't notice these scissors. It could cost me a lot.
-Yeah. Don't worry. Looks like you're fine. Doctor says you're pretty lucky. But it will hurt a long time.
-Good. I will be remembered to be careful next time. When will they sign me out?
-Tomorrow. So they said.
-Good. Calleeigh...
-Yeah?
-Would you mind bring me something to drink?
-Water?
-Yeah. Cold.
-Sure.
She left and he sat up straight. His head almost exploded. Being hungover after all the alcohol they drank plus sedatives they gave him made it unbearable. He saw H.'s disapproving look and he probably noticed Calleigh's and Eric's headaches too. But surely Speed's was the worst.
Was it the reason he reacted badly? He wasn't careful enough? Fast enough? Or predictive enough?
-Here you are Calleigh -entered with Oshee Mineral water and passed him the bottle. It was cold in touch.
-Did H tell you something unpleasant?
-No. I was a bit afraid as we both were after a huge party, but no. He told me we were off duty then.
-Something about me?
-He was worried. That's all
-Really?
-Yeah.
-Cal...you can't lie- Speed smiled
-OK...he was a bit annoyed we were still a bit hungover.
-A bit? My head will explode any minute now... How much did I drink?
- pretty much. And you still wanted to ride your bike. That's why I took you on that beach.
- that was the only reason? -He smiled
- no... Of course not. She sat next to him.- I enjoyed it a lot. Did you?
- yeah. Although it seems hazy
He put his hand on her face- -Cal...do you think we have any chance to go on like this?
-do you want it?
- yeah. I do. But I don't want you to be another key in my knot. I consider you someone special in my life. My friend. I don't want this to be messed up.
-why do you think it could break our friendship?
-come on...how long ever you've been in a relationship ?
- I don't know...4 months or so?
- do you still keep good relation?
- not really...
- with any of them?
-well...not really
-so you see..
- it means you wanna break up with me?
-I cannot break up something that isn't tied, Cal. I just...just want to have you close all my life. I need you. I hope I won't destroy our friendship with something.
- One thing I can promise you Tim, right now. I'm not in love, however strange it sounds, with you. And I don't intend to. I'm just having fun with my best mate.
- why did you pick me? Not Eric or some other, really handsome guy?
-Eric isn't my cup of tea. Really. He's my friend, he's vulnerable and compassionate but not...scratchy enough. Not enough for me. If you know what I mean.
-I guess...but I'm not JohnHagen- kind-of guy.
-but you still rock- she smiled.- I like bad boys. Eric is a ladies' man, a womanizer. I don't like this type.
-Oh. How do you know I'm not?
-I just know.- She came closer. Much closer-  And you smell so nice...maybe not now, but every day at work.
- I didn't notice that actually.
Well Cal, promise me one thing. That if there comes a day you meet someone else to have fun with, You'll tell me before you engage. I don't want to be part of a party.
-what shall I say? 'She said, suddenly irritated -huh? What about your girls? This Ana for instance?
-I don't ...meet Ana anymore. I unzipped the key.
- did you give it back?
- not just yet. I just didn't have time.
- hmm. So we've got a deal. End of fun is info. Ok? Mutual rule.
- yeah. And no matter what...
- staying friends. yeah. deal.
- hey you two- the door opened and Eric entered the room.
- hi. Came to help me get out of here?
- actually yes. Doc said you're leaving today or tomorrow. Need to be careful with the wound so no heavy loads to be carried, no hard activities- looked at Calleigh- heard me? Leave him alone for a while!
- how many people know...?
- We're CSIs...and your yesterday's ...hmmm... Sticking together being completely drunk didn't help to keep it secret- he laughed out- No gossiping yet, but soon to come.
- I'm leaving then- Calleigh said a bit too loud and left
-she's mad at me? - Eric asked Speed a minute later. Speed nodded
-she is. Don't go near her today- he laughed.- Now help me use the loo please.