13.

"Not even a chance".
"Really? There a nice disco at the beach. "
"No Delko. I'm on duty."
"You're on duty since you're back."
Speed smiled. These two weeks were really busy...after 10 weeks of suspension he wanted to workas much as his timecard allowed him to. H. was happy- he asked him many times to stay some extra time- Belmontes was ill and there was only him and Speed and the graveyard shift.
That was all. And there came the case of murder on the beach- Speed was kneeling in the sand for many hours trying to recover any piece of evidence, as the victim was a 15yo girl and there was a strong pressure as she was someone important 's niece.
They were both working long hours, so was Calleigh and Eric and a week of investigation
didn't even bring them close to the murderer.
"Lunch , Speed "Horatio said into the air reminding him that the break is necessary. "Let's go.
How are you Speed?"
"Fine H."
"Tired?"
"Yeah...we all are. And this case seems neverending... Gee..."
"That's true. I guess you should go home tonight instead of staying up late again".
"Maybe...I must admit I have problems with sleeping. I'm addicted to work " Speed laughed.
"We all really are... It's called devotion" he smiled. "I must say you don't spend too much money on food I guess" he looked at Speed's plate sceptically.
"It's enough. For me."
"Surely- you eat like a baby- no girl will ask you out with  that looks" Eric joined them laughing at his joke.
"Funny Delko." Speed said. "I don't have time for relationships. I'm- as H said- devoted to work."
"Right....so let's get back."
At 11pm they were both going home.
"Beer? "
"Not really. I should be sleeping I guess instead of drinking tonight."
They said goodbyes and each of them got into his room.
In the morning Eric knocked at Speed's door but tgere was no answer. He hurried to the garage noticing Speed's bike, but he was too afraid to be late to go back and knock again. Speed was constantly late and Eric knew H.doesn't like that.
Standing with Calleigh and Tyler in front of the building he shared his opinion about Speed's absence. "Why didn't you wake him? What kind of friend are you?" Said Calleigh dialing Tim's number. "Voicemail. "
"See? It's always like that. H. Will kill him. "
"I'll try again. Voicemail again."
The small black VW Beetle appeared in the distance. The three of them were watching it coming that way- no one they knew had this make of car.
When it got closer they noticed it was driven by a tall dark haired girl - nobody they actually knew. What was more surprising, the door opened and they saw Speed getting off it.
"So see ya. Thanks for a lift."
"Bye Tim."
The car moved forward and disappeared in the distance.
Speed joined them at the pavement. "Hi guys...waiting for someone?" He was wearing the same black shirt as yesterday.
"For you actually..." Calleigh regained her voice first.
"So I'm here."
"I've been knocking" Eric said "but tgere was no answer".
"Maybe because I wasn't there Delko " he started walking towards tge building "you're gonna be late guys".
They followed him and clocked in. In the locker room Tyler only said "nice girl Speedle " and left. Tim was changing the shirt into new one and getting his ID, sidearms and holster.
"Bb..ut...who the hell is she?" Eric mumbled.
"Ana. Ana Banks. "
"Ana Banks....!? Who's she?"
"Just a girl I happen to know. "
"But I knocked on your door..."
"What's wrong with you Delko? I wasn't at home don't you get it?"
"Eeerrmmm....you said you have no time for relationships".
"It's not a relationship".
"So what is it?"
"Don't be nosey. Hurry up or you'll be late". And he left.
Standing in the layout room both Calleigh and Eric watched Speed closely. He was almost asleep standing, only the coffee helped him to stand up straight.
"Looks quite tired" Cal whispered to Eric.
"Yeah... I don't think he slept much that night... Ana Banks..does this tell you anything?"
"Not really...who's she?"
"Idk...he told me not to be nosy. But he must have surely got lucky yesterday"
"Oh... "She blushed" I see."
"Sorry Cal" Eric realized he's not talking to Tyler anymore "I didn't mean to offend you"
"It's guys talk I guess...I'd better be going. "
Speed was working quietly during the day, earphones on. Then he was called by dispatch and left. Going thru the hall Calleigh noticed the same girl standing and talking to Paula.
"Yes....but h'es absent. "
"I understand but can I leave sth for him then? He forgot sth and may need it."
"But...."
"I can pass sth to Tim" Calleigh came closer. "Hi I'm Calleigh."
"Ana. "Woman handed her the paperbag. "Thanks a lot. He forgot it in my car".
"Sure."
"Better be going". She smiled and left.
Cal and Paula exchanged looks.
"Hmmm.... "
"Hmmm... "Cal smiled and left.
The bag was there for almost two hours and she wanted to open it soooo badly. She was very curious what was inside- she knew of course she shouldn't , but finally opened it with a feeling of guilt. Inside there was Tim's t-shirt , worn yersterday and his wallet. There was also a key. Strange, red key.
"Snooping, huh?" She heard Tim's voice from behind.
"Nno... "She jumped up.
"I just....just.."
"...Wanted to see if there's a bomb inside?" He grinned. Took the key out of her hand and pulled out his own key knot. Then he attached this red key to it. "Don't be nosy girl. " Then he took the bag from her hands and left leaving her standing with an open mouth.
When Eric popped in she asked him to show his key knot.
Eric - however suprised - pulled it out- there was a door key, gate key, bike chain key and his car key- altogether 4.
"Funny "she said- "you and Speed live in the same place and both have two keys to enter... And your bunch consists of 4 keys and his.... Almost too big for his pants' pocket... "
"Yeah...I've always wondered why he likes this strange colourful keys.."
Calleigh nodded but she has already discovered the truth- they weren't probably all Speed's keys... She only hoped the colourful keys weren't all present girlfriends.