14.

"Tim...anything on the case?" Cal entered the trace lab.
"Why? Haven't finished yet I'm afraid but almost already there" he said looking thru the lenses. "Will you wait a moment?"
,Yeah" Cal didn't want to stay here actually. She felt strange after that conversation, like a thief. It was highly uncomfortable she had to admit.
However it would be even stranger if she didn't wait. She sat down letting him focus.
The silence never messed Speed's mind. He loved it. Either silence or the music. Chatter and talking distracted him, so he liked if someone was just quiet. But not her. Not Calleigh. Her constant talking was annoying, but he got used to it. He had a rare ability to focus in the highest of noise. But this....this was strange. He took his eyes of the scope and sat down on a stool.
"What's going on Cal?"
"Nothing" she said fast. Too fast. "Just waiting."
"Yeah...right. Look at me".
She put up her eyes and he saw a kind of...embarassment?!?
"What's up?? Tell me. Tell me now, Cal."
"Nothing really...if you need more time I will come later."
"How long we've known each other huh?" he caught her arm.
"Quite a long time now. " she freed from the catch.
"Right. You know I can see if sth is going on. I read you, Cal. I'm a CSI. Quite a skillful one I must say. "
"And so modest " she smiled at last "you're damn good I must admit. Reading me? What is there then, written huh?"
"I think you're annoyed by our previous conversation. "
"I told you- I'm sorry for opening the bag Tim".
"It's not the bag that made you annoyed, is it?It's the key. "
God She thought he reads me really... "Maybe."
"Maybe? Come on. I'm sure you got or give a key more than once in your life Cal."
"I...did. Twice. But it wasn't like that."
"Like what?"
"You know...the colourful keys at"
"....my key knot? That's it, right?"
He sat opposite her. "That's what bothering you..."
"It's not bothering me....I just thought...I wondered..."
"..how many of them I'm actually using?"
She blushed. "I..."
"Come on. We're friends. Ask me and I'll answer you. Promise. "
She put up her head and said with a false blunt in her eyes
"How...how many you're using?"
He cocked his head and looked at her carefully.
"2 at present." he said carefully choosing the words." One mine, one colourful. And from now on- probably the red one too."
"So...why do you keep all of them? " She got a bit more sure.  "As you trophies? "
"As reminders, Calleigh. Reminders, not trophies. Of good times gone. Don't you know me at all?"
She smiled gently. "Yeah...but don't the other....colourful keys...get angry about it? Your knot?"
"I don't know. I don't care. "
"If I were your girlfriend" Calleigh laughed "I wouldn't want you to have them all at your knot."
He bowed his head for a moment. Then looked straight into her face and said  "If you were mine Cal, I'd throw away the knot. "
The air became thick and the silence unbearable. Suddenly the machine popped up the sheet of paper.
"Oh.Here's my score." She said with relief. She rushed to the machine. He took the worksheet and gave it to her hestitantly as If waiting for the reaction. There was none.
"Yes. Here you are".
"Thanks. See ya."
The door swung open and he was alone in his lab. He shook his head,  put his earphones on and started checking on the next evidence.
"Oh god...that was...awful" she thought sitting down on the bench outside the trace lab. Embarrasing?. Touching? Unexpected?well...she regretted now asking him. On the other hand she didn't expect his reaction. Not this way at least.
Get yourself together Duquesne. Now.
"Calleigh? Something's wrong?" She noticed H coming with the worried face.
"No H. I was to collect results but it's so hot here..."
"Maybe a walk to the terrace would help?"he gave her his hand to help.
"Yes. Thanks". Cold breeze will surely help throw the scene out of her head.
She was avoiding him all day long. However at 8 pm H threw them all out of labs. She was standing on the pavement with Eric who promised to give her a lift.
"....And Tim? Is he coming?" she said lightly.
"No. This Ana took him in her car 10 mins ago" Delko smiled aloud. "Poor Speed...he's not gonna sleep too much I'm afraid."
"I wouldn't mind if I were him" Jenssen answered from behind. "See you Calleigh. " He crossed the road.
"Ok. Let's go". They got into the car.
"Eric...do you think it's something serious? "
"Speed and that girl?? Nah. Just another one Speed' s into... As always. Sorry Cal, he's my best friend, but not the best material for a long term boyfriend or a husband if you ask me."
"I didn't ask you Eric" she said in a raised voice "let's go home."
Sitting now in her armchair, eating pasta and drinking her tea, she caught herself thinking what he was doing now. She momentarily decided to call. Like a stupid impulse. She took her cell and dialed. 6 long beeps. Then a very familiar husky voice 'This is Tim Speedle's phone. Leave a message and I'll call you back.'
She hang up.