9.

"Coffee?"
"You know I don't use that shit"
Eric laughed. Working here for 4 months he knew well Speed prefers cold  or energy drinks instead of coffee. But he's always been making it for Caleigh who loved it. They got really close in the team. Eric felt well here. His mother started to complain about him visiting the house so rarely because of work. He was telling her they all work so much. They've just finished the Hispanic girlcase , which was actually very tiring and there were so many evidence samples to process that they've been working all the time.He started to admire the three of them- they could work effectively for many hours and get little sleep to recover. Especially Speed. He could sit on the case for 20 hours in a row, with a lunch break
Eric started to do the same - stay at work to get some sleep. Horatio laughed that there should be another sofa for them and finally bought it. Calleigh was very strict as sleep was concerned. She went home every night to rest. They were spending their little free time going to the beach or partying. Eric found Speed a nice company to chill out. His taste in music was a bit different, but he didn't mind that. They hooked up the girls altogether and mostly woke up someplace elsewere. They felt too young for a relationship and they had so little time that they both preferred it that way.
Calleigh went with them once or twice but she didn't like that-as she called it-girls hunting.
Eric liked her so much though- if she was ever interested in him,  he' d do anything to make her his girlfriend. He and Calleigh got  common interests- they both liked art events, while Speed preferred to stay at home and read instead. That day was the occasion. Eric now thought he wouln't have forgotten the day. Ever.
"Eric??"
"What's up Calleigh?"
"I got two tickets for the art show. I got it from my father but he can't go and wanted me to take a friend. Wanna come?"
"Mechanical structures art show you mean?"
"Yeah...why?"
"I love it. Never had a chance to see it... Wait.. No...I can't. I'm working this weekend....you can take Speed. He's free".
"No. Tim doesn't like that kind of art... Shame. I can ask him anyway.. " She left.
"Tim, u free this weekend?"
"Yeah" he said pulling up his head from over the microscope.
"I've got two tickets for art show for tomorrow. Eric can't come cause he's on duty. Maybe you'd like to?"
Speed looked at her and sighed- "sorry Cal..not my cup of tea..."  She nodded and turned around as for leaving.
"...but you know what? I CAN take Eric's shift if you want".
"Really??? Could you? "
"What time is it?"
"5.pm . about 3 or 4 hours. "
"....And afterparty."
"Yeah, but we don't have to go there."
"But it's nice to be there... If he won't drink and come back afterwards, I can stay up to 11 p.m. "
"Oh...really? I"ll go and tell him! Thanks Tim!! " She kissed his cheek and ran away. Speed shook his head and put on his headphones getting back to work.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"Really??? That's great. What time shall I pick u up". Eric was really excited.
"4.45?"
"Sure. Smart clothes?'"
"Yep. See ya".
Eric was working late and then he went home. He knocked on Speed's door but there was no answer.
In the morning they met in the lab.
"I knocked your door yesterday to thank for tonight."
"No problem,Eric. I prefer work than going to this show..."
"Oh man...this is amazing one... I've never thought I could get tickets... Thanks."
"Sure. You owe me. Now let's get to work".
After 3 hours and a crime scene they sat for a while and opened their cold cokes.
"Tired?"
"No. Im not. Just my eyes are a bit sore from this sand - the last crime scene was the beach. I need to find eye drops". He took them off the bag and poured into each eye.
"Better ?"
"Yeah. I hate sand."
"That's why you live in Miami?" Eric laughed.
"Yeah. Kinda"
Entering the building they met H. "Speed - take your box. We've got a crime scene."
Speed sighed and waved to Eric.
"Anything's wrong?"
"No H. All's fine. It's just the sand. It will pass soon."
"Ok".
When they entered the flat, they easily recognized the smell.
"Shit... Long time gone.... "Speed sighed." That means clothes change after."
"Yeah. Lets finish it fast."
Fast meant 3 hours. It was after 3 p.m. when they came back. Eric was in the hall.
"Speed, what time can you let me out?"
"I guess about 4, Delko...I need to change and I have nothing left here. Have to go home and take a shower."
"Yuck..you smell terrible...where's H?"
"At home. To take a shower and change" Speed said slowly.
"Ok. So I'll wait."
"Don't get too excited Delko, she's not interested in you. .."
"Oh come on...one day she will be :)"
"Dream on". Speed laughed and left. They exchanged the pagers 40 minutes later.
"Gotta go. She'll kill me. Bye."
"Yeah. Have fun. And DO COME BACK!! " He shouted but Eric has already left.
Few minutes after 6 pm, H. Came into the staff room.
"Sam? I need Eric. Have you seen him?"
"I don't think he's here." Belmontes added.
"He's on duty... I'll page him".
The pager beeped few metres behind. The sofa moved slowly and H saw Speed looking at it.
"Speed?? Why are you here?"
"I....I exchanged shifts with Eric. He and Cal wanted to see an exhibition Calleigh got tickets to".
"But.... You're here since" -he considered the answer- "2 days??"
"Yeah. But I had a shower and changed my clothes just like u.
What's up?"
"We've got a dispatch call. Actually maybe two...."
"So let's go. I' ll take one and you another. "
They were driving in silence. Speed saw H is angry with the switch.
"H. I should have told you...sorry" he mumbled.
"No. Eric should.""
"He was so eager to see it. And it was the only occasion."
"Ok.Whatever. we need to sort it out for the future. Let's do that one  quickly".
While they were taking samples, the pager beeped again.
"Crap... WhAT now?"
"Go". Speed said. "I will manage. There are few more things to process and the cops are almost finished."
H. nodded but Speed saw he's still annoyed.
"Ok. Finish here and call me- I'll get you on my way back".
Speed nodded and H. left.
He was doing his job carefully, the cops already left asking him whether he wants a lift.
He was kneeling on the ground thinking about his stupidity- he could be sleeping or reading in bed instead getting another jeans dirty...
When he heard footsteps he turned around and saw a guy.
"Hey mister... It's a crime scene. You gotta go behind the tape. Now. "
"You're not behind the tape though" said the guy smiling.
Speed turned a bit to show his badge when he felt the hit on his head and all went black.