Chapter 15

As I approached the door to Blaze’s room I heard muffled voice. I know I shouldn’t, but I pressed my ear against the door to hear what they were saying.

“I don’t like Tylek coming here. What if he tries to do something to Skye? She’s already been through enough,” I heard Blaze sigh, and I could imagine him running his hand through his thick black hair, pushing it out of his ruby red eyes- focus, Skye!

“You don’t even treat her like she’s your slave,” Zeth answered. “Why is that?”

There was a pause. “What does that have to do with Tylek?”

“I’m just saying that because of that Tylek might think something is up with you and Skye or that you favor her. He might use her just to get to you.”

“I won’t let that ass touch her,” Blaze hissed in reply to his friend, no doubt his eyes blazing furiously. “I’m not going to treat her any differently.”

“You still haven’t answered my question.”

There was another pause, one that lasted longer than the other. “Because I don’t see her as my slave.”

Another pause. “What do you think your parents would say if they hear that?”

“They would think something was up between us, and my dad would be pissed. The best I can do for Skye with Tylek coming is making sure she’s with us and that we can watch her. I don’t want a repeat of the ball with Tylek instead. Knowing him, if he does anything, he’ll be able to snake his way out of it.”

I heard Zeth’s muffled, humorless chuckle. “Yeah, he’s a sneaky little bastard. But you can’t expect everything to be all fine and dandy. You know Skye won’t let you boss her around. She believes she can take care of herself and will argue with you. She’s stubborn and independent. What are you going to do about that? Have her sleep in your room with you?”

There was silence. Blaze didn’t reply to his friend, and I wanted more than ever to see what was happening, knowing they were probably exchanging looks. But I knew that silence meant one thing.

“Dude, you know she won’t agree to that!” Zeth exclaimed, clearly heard from the other side of the door.

“I don’t have a choice!” Blaze argued. “It’s either that or there’s a bigger chance Tylek will do something to her!”

“Or you could be making the odds greater.”

“If she’s with me she’ll be safer because I will be with her and make sure she’s protected. We both know that when it comes to it I can beat the shit out of him any day.”

I heard Zeth take a deep breath. “Look man, I’m all for protecting her, you know that. Skye’s like a sister to me. I’m not a big fan of the idea… But if Skye agrees, then I’m okay with it.”

Blaze let out a heavy sigh in return. “If I can get her to listen to me at all.”

No words were said beyond that, and I decided that now would be the best time to make my entrance. Holding the bowl of strawberries in one hand and opening the door with the other, I made my way into the room, acting as though I’ve heard nothing. Both of their heads snapped up towards me, Zeth eyeing the bowl in my hand. I narrowed my eyes, holding it protectively in my arms. “No.”

He pouted. “But you’ve already had so many! At least one? Please?”

I scowled before picking one up and throwing it to him, watching as he caught it in his mouth perfectly. “You’re like a freaking dog.”

Zeth hissed at me. “I. Am. Not.”

Blaze chuckled, “By saying he’s a dog is like calling him a werewolf.”