Chapter 14

Zeth, Blaze and I were all sitting in the kitchen talking about random things. I was sitting on the counter while eating chocolate covered strawberries that had been in the fridge, and Blaze and Zeth were sitting on the stools, getting up once in a while to get something or put something away. It was nice and relaxed, comfortable. It was something I could get used to. Except for when Zeth tries to steal my strawberries.

“Oi! Paws off!” I exclaimed, slapping his darting hand away.

He gave me a pout before reaching again, whining, “I just want one.”

I slapped his hand again. “And I said no! They belong to me!”

“Lunatics,” Blaze muttered, getting up and walking to the fridge. “You guys want a drink?”

“Mountain dew!” I yelled at him, knocking Zeth’s hand away once more as he hollered, “Sprite!”

I drew my upper lip back in disgust. “Sprite? Gross!,” I stated, popping another strawberry into my mouth.

“It is not!” he defended indignantly. “Just for that I get a strawberry!”

“Do not!” I argued as I flicked his hand.

“Stop that!” Zeth yelled, flicking me.

I brought my leg back before sending my foot flying into his chest, knocking him backwards. “Don’t flick me!”

“Damn, woman! Why you so abusive?” Zeth complained, picking himself off the floor as Blaze came over, snickering. “Shut up, Blaze.”

“Do it again!” Blaze said eagerly to me, causing me to laugh. He looked like an adorable little kid.

“Nope,” I replied, popping the ‘p’ as I ate another strawberry, closing my eyes as I savored the sweet taste of the chocolate and strawberry together. These royal chefs are amazing! “Hey, Loretta! Can you make some more chocolate covered strawberries?” I yelled to the wonderful woman.

I saw her smile, shaking her head at me while I shot her a grin. “Only for you, Skye.”

“You,” I pointed at her, “are my favorite person.”

”Hey!” both Zeth and Blaze exclaimed, feigning hurt.

“I think I have some competition,” Loretta chuckled, calling a small boy over to her before sending him off.

“Competition for what?” a deep voice asked as the King appeared from the shadows. He gave Loretta a disapproving look. “Shouldn’t you be working?”

Loretta looked away. “Yes, sir. Sorry. I’ll get back to it.”

My eyes narrowed at the King’s annoyance, not liking how he talked to her. “Excuse me, but she was doing nothing wrong.”

The King’s red glare switched over to me, narrowing his gaze back. “I do believe her job is to cook and prepare food and meals, not spend her time talking.”

“I asked her to prepare me something so I believe she was doing her job,” I snapped back, my temper flaring.

“Skye, watch how you speak to me father,” Blaze hissed, yanking me off the counter. He turned to his dad. “My apologies, father.”

“Keep your slave in line,” the King told his son sternly. “Back to business, I came here to tell you your cousin will be here tomorrow. He will be staying with us for a while.”

Blaze groaned. “How long is a while?”

”Until we say otherwise,” the King replied. “I expect you to be prepared and treat him like a guest. That means no fighting, insulting, or glare matches, mostly just when your mother or I are around, dinner, or any event of any kind. Understand?”