Chapter 21

I pulled the pencil out of the bun my hair was pulled back into and started to use it as lightly as possible, barely touching the paper with it. The multiple number of lines all formed a sketch of a rushing river through a forest, the dark water swirling with the white foam as it tumbled over protruding rocks. I traded the light pencil for a darker one, placing the 2H pencil back in position and my fingers hesitating over the others as I studied my work. Then I snatched the 6B pencil for a dark color, but not the darkest that it could be.

“What you drawing?” Rosie asked me from the foot end of the king bed in mine and Blaze’s room. She had joined me in art, using crayons to create what an eight year old girl thinks is the perfect piece of work.

“A river,” I responded, eyebrows furrowed as I concentrated on my work.

It had been almost two weeks since Blaze and I got together. He prodded enough that he found one of my all time passions: art. Preferably sketching, that is. So he went out and bought me an amazing sketchbook and a case of six graphic pencils. Even though I really wanted it, I had refused at first because it was ‘unnecessary money spending’. He argued that I’m his girlfriend and if he wants to buy me a gift then he can and finally persuaded me to take them.

So Rosie and I decided we would do some artwork while Zeth is with his family (for once he’s not here), and Blaze had to spend time with his father in order to do some paper work and preparing to be King. His parents didn’t know that we were together, and we were hoping it stayed that way until he could warm his father up to the idea. His mother would be easy, but his father would disapprove and most likely give me to someone else.

“Can I watch you sketch?” came Rosie’s quiet voice, looking unsure as if she was afraid I’d snap at her for asking such a question.

“Of course,” I answered gently, shifting over so she could settle comfortably on the fluffy pillows. “Just make sure not to knock anything over or bump into me or I might mess up.”

She nodded and crawled over to sit where she could lean over to see what I was doing. “Is there any way that I can help?”

“How about if I need a different pencil you put the one I give you away and hand me the one I ask for,” I suggested, knowing that as a child she would think that was a very important job.

Proving me right her blue eyes lit up and she sat up taller. “Okay.”

We sat there for a couple hours, Rosie handing me different pencils and watching in awe as she saw the river and forest start to form on the paper. She behaved and was entertained to just watch and give me the pencils I asked for without complaining, as if she was in a trance. But the trance broke as the door slammed open, causing both of us to jump and my pencil to create a light, thin line across the page.

Blaze stormed in with furious red eyes that I knew would probably frighten Rosie. “Rosie, why don’t you go to your room, okay?” I told her quietly, referring to the room Blaze had prepared just for her. “I’ll get you later when it’s time for dinner, and grab all of your things.”

The young child wasted no time in doing as I said, casting uneasy, fearful glances at the vampire that was like a father to her. She muttered a, “bye,” before she was out the door, making sure to close it behind her.

“Blaze?” I asked cautiously. “Is everything alright?”

“I hate that man!” he snarled, lashing out and knocking a stack of books off his dresser. I jumped at the sudden action, watching him as he paced back and forth. “You know what he told me? He says I have to get married!”

I nearly choked on my own breath. “What?”

“I hate him! He’s trying to ruin my life,” he hissed, turning and punching a hole in the wall.

I ran over to him to try and calm him down. When I touched his shoulder he rounded on me with a raised fist and blazing eyes. Out of reaction I flinched back, putting my hands up to shield myself and waited for the pain.

It never came.

When I opened my eyes I saw Blaze staring at me in horror. The anger and hate was gone and now his ruby eyes stared is terror. “Holy crap, Skye,” he murmured, putting his hand down and wrapping me up in a hug. I flinched back before slowly relaxing. “I’m so sorry! God, I’d never hurt you, Skye. I’d never forgive myself for it.”

“It’s fine,” I managed to whispered, returning the hug.

“No, it’s not.” He shook his head furiously. “Being mad is no excuse for me to even give you thought that I’d hurt you.”

“But you didn’t,” I protested, trying to calm myself down despite my words.

He tilted my head so I was looking up at him. “But I could have.”

Taking a deep breath, I answered, “Let’s just forget about it and hope it doesn’t happen again, okay?” Once he nodded, still looking upset, I added, “Do you want to talk about it?”

“Well, I guess there’s not much to talk about,” he said slowly. “Pretty much I said what it is. My dad wants me to get married. And soon.”

“How soon is soon?” I inquired.

“Before I’m King,” he muttered, looking away.

I sucked in a breath. “Damn, that’s soon. But it’s at least a few months away, right? Eight or so?”

“Six.” He ran a hand through his long hair. “Six short months. How can I get my dad to like the idea of me and you? He’ll never go for it.”

“Time,” I sighed, plopping down on the bed, avoiding my art supplies and sketch.

Blaze picked up the paper I had been drawing on, studying it with fascination. “Did you do this?”

“Hmm? Oh, yeah. Why?”

“It’s really good!” he told me, placing it on the nightstand along with my pencils so he could do a belly flop onto the bed next to me and we wouldn’t have to worry about ruining my things. “You should be a professional. You know, sell sketches and offer to do them for people. You could make some money.”

My brain being fuzzy from thinking how good some sleep would be I just simply murmured agreement before burrowing into the soft pillow. I felt Blaze shift beside me before curling an arm around me and bringing me to his chest. Letting out a sigh of content, I relaxed my body to try and let sleep come. Right as I was drifting off to sleep there was a loud BOOM and voices shouting.

Blaze and I jumped up, looking at each other. “What was that?” I asked slowly.

His eyes widened as he heard people’s thoughts and voices with his abilities. “The castle is under attack!”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here it is. FINALLY. Really am sorry, and I would have made it longer but I have a small headache. Anyway, hopefully it won't take me, what? Two months? To post the next chapter. Please keeping reading even though my updating has been slow these last few months, and I don't know when I can update this month with exams coming up so please hold on and just keep an eyes out.

COMMENT, VOTE, FAN!

-azzeria123