Chapter 31

A couple weeks had passed since my encounter with Tylek in the Royale Hospital. The conversation had yet to continue or even been mentioned. As a matter of fact, Tylek had nearly ceased to exist. It was rumored he negotiated with the King to go on a journey, the destination and purpose unknown, and tonight he was to return. Despite the relations within the castle walls, a welcome feast would be held to celebrate a safe arrival home.

By now I had been released from bed rest and could wander freely. Well, as freely as a girl could get with two men following her every move at a distance. Bodyguards were placed on me with orders to never let me out of their sight. When I shower, one of them sits in the bathroom. An awkward situation, no doubt, but I had already gotten used to the routine. Blaze allowed it only because he hand-picked the men to watch me, and I'm sure a few threats were mixed into the conversation of assignment. Rosie was scared of them at first. They loomed over her small frame, stoic and cold. She would constantly ask me to "send the big, scary men away." However, once they all adjusted to each other, it was common to find one of them giving her a piggy-back ride as we moved about the castle.

I was placed on a strict schedule for my therapy. The doctor would meet with me every morning and walk me through breathing and physical exercises to assess my lungs in recovery. Then he would examine my burns before placing more ointment and bandages on them. I was told they were healing well for a human.

Lucinia had been helpful. She produced magean water for me, just as Tylek had done, which I drank every day, and I wasn't allowed to drink anything else. There was also progress being made in tracking down individuals involved in this group referred to as Kakkuul, as we learned. Lucinia had found a source in which this group was rumored to exist, named after a hell-bound demon the cult was sworn to serving. So far two raids had been carried out on discovered Kakkuul hide-outs, both with little success. Tipped off, the hide-outs were deserted.

Nothing had happened since the fire. No moves from Kakkuul had been made. It was almost easy to forget the threat that loomed over our heads. The theory was the fire had weakened me, and my heart wouldn't be strong enough to open the portal. So they were letting me rest and recover my strength. This led to interesting debates.

"If they are leaving her alone because she is weak, perhaps it would be best to keep her weakened," one of the generals announced, standing up from his seat. "What does it matter to us if she's strong? If she's strong, she becomes a threat by increasing the threat!"

"Skye is not our enemy," Blaze hissed back.

"And she's not our friend," was the retort. "The only reason she isn't serving in chains like the human filth she is is because she's the key to our safety."

Blaze stood up and stared the general down. "She's my slave and—"

"Was your slave, my Prince. She no longer belongs to you."

"Enough of this," the King declared, ending the heated discussion. "We will not subject the human to torture and pain for our own benefit. There must be another way. Find it!"

I had learned to avoid vampires as much as I could. Anyone, really. The looks, the whispers, it was a lot to deal with every day.

"Skye, come on. It's time to get ready. Tylek will be back soon," Isabella said as she entered the room.

She hung up a bag that contained my wardrobe for the night on the closet door. Then she grabbed the book I was staring at out of my hand. When I went to protest she said, "I know you're not actually reading it."

I hmphed in response.

Isabella disappeared into the bathroom and the sound of running water soon followed. She reappeared next to the window nook I was sitting in. "Get up and get in the shower. I'm not telling you you have to get out of your funk but you need to at least function to some degree. Plus it'll make you feel better."