chapter fourty-two

baby

The group split like we said it would, Melissa went to terminus and Anne stayed with us. We had taken a truck, a SUV, a small car, and Dean's motor bike.

Daryl drove the truck. I sat cross legged in the passenger seat, watching the trees go by. Anne sat in the back. All three stayed silent as we thought about what was ahead. Was the prison habitable? Could we fix the fences? Daryl's hand was laced with mine across the armrest. I was holding his hand quite tightly, but he understood. I had basically taken over, there was a lot of weight now on my shoulders. If anyone died he knew I would feel responsible, but he would stick by my. No matter what. That's the one thing I could trust.

As we pulled onto the dirt road leading into the prison I tensed and let go of his hand to sit on the ledge of the rolled down window. Daryl slowed to make sure I didn't hurt myself too badly if I jumped, which by the end of the road, I did. I pulled myself up, and rolled my shoulders before stabbing a close by Departed. Daryl pulled into the hole in the fence while Anne and I fought our way through the gate.

Anne looked around once it was safe enough for us to group up. "How do you want to handle this?" She asked while shielding her eyes with her hand.

I looked around and sighed, "wooden barricade for a temporary fence, like we had at the school?"

Tessa put her head out of the window of the car, "if we do that we can pick off what's in the yard for the night like we did the first time."

I flinched. She was with the governor and Miguel the first time. Daryl noticed, but chose not to say anything. At least not now.

"Let's get on with it then." Dean said, loading his gun.

We had cleared the field, and the next day we had reclaimed a cell block and the main court yard. Daryl had noticed something off about me, but I had brushed him off every time he asked about it. My posters were still tacked on the walls, and I had settled in my room for most of the four days we were here. Daryl wasn't the only one worried, I knew that.

Tessa announced her second pregnancy on the second night. Merle was as shocked as everyone else, but Daryl could hear them talking in the cell that night. He was damn excited.

On the third day Anne went on a run with Dean and Melissa for baby supplies, food, and clothing. I didn't want to go.

This was the final straw for Daryl. He had stormed into my cell and demanded answers. I'm fine! I had insisted, but no one had believed me.

Today was no different. Everyone was in the main area eating breakfast, Tessa took up some food and put it in a bowl. But I had joined them. She didn't speak, no one did. We all sat in silence. Until I had dropped a bomb. "I'm going to Terminus." I said, speaking very clearly. "To check up on Rick's group."

Everyone had tried to fight me, but I had packed and loaded up the SUV. Daryl got in with me and we both left.

"Ye gunna tell me why you been acting weird?" He asked, once we were far enough away from the prison.

"Worried." I simply stated. When he didn't say anything, I sighed and reached out for his hand. "They brought Judith and Carl. They're like...siblings I guess. I might've screwed up my chance with Paige and Sophia, but I'm not going to screw it up with them." I looked over at him before continuing, "you understand, right?"

Daryl brought my knuckles up to his mouth before saying, "Course."

I smiled weakly at him before looking at the map, "we should be there tomorrow morning." I said.