chaper twenty

merle

The group had become a part of a routine. Every morning the lights would come on at the same time, breakfast would be cooked by the same people, and then we all had our daily work until that evening. I had taken to going out in search of Shane and Lori. Searching for them gave me a chance to let loose, and even though I wanted to find Lori, I didn't want to stop going out and exploring.

Following routine, Glenn and I would be taking two cars out today and driving opposite directions on the main highway until we reach the next towns to see if we can spot any signs of Shane and Lori.

The tires of my car thundered through the mud. The windows were down, and my hair blew in the wind.

It was amazing. It's the small moments like this that make living in this world possible, the wheel between my fingers, and the open road ahead of me. I laughed into the wind, letting the tension that was built up over the past few weeks free, letting my sore muscles relax, making my back pop.

A small cabin came into view to the left. I quickly pulled over and got on the radio. "Glenn!" I called into the box. "There's a cabin just outside of the next town over, has anyone checked it?" I asked.

The radio was silent for a quick moment, and then Glenn's voice rung in my ears. "Not yet."

I squinted my eyes at the place. "It looks like someone was here," I said, hopping out. I brought out a cut-off shotgun.

Another voice came over the radio. "Wait. I'll send someone out to help."

I pressed my lips into a line. Rick was just looking out for me, but the cabin was right there. I could handle it on my own, but I decided to lean back against the car and sigh. "Fine. Make it quick," I complied.

True to his word, Rick had sent someone over within the next ten minutes. I was picking my nails with my knife when the old beater truck squealed to a stop next to my car.

Daryl approached me, handing me a bottle of water. "They found some girl, names Beth. She said she saw some woman in these parts. Spoke to Rick, if it's them, shoot Shane on sight," he almost snapped.

I nodded. "Happily."

Daryl scoffed but didn't respond to my words. "Split up. Take the front, I'll check around."

Without responding, I loaded my gun and walked straight towards the cabin. I would serve as the bait, a distraction so Daryl could steal my thunder. I was still going to shoot Shane, so I let it slide.

Before I reached the first step the door swung open and a gun was pointed in my face. "What do you want?" The person snarled.

I didn't recognize the woman behind the gun. Blonde hair fell loose from a messy bun and framed her round face. She moved the gun in her hands until it pressed against my forehead. "What-"

I smiled firmly. "I'm looking for a member of my group. Two, actually. A man and a woman."

The woman behind the gun paused. "You with them?" She asked, hesitant.

I shook my head gently. "The man kidnaped the woman, her name is Lori. She's pregnant. We're trying to bring her home," I said, placing my fingers around the gun and lowering it.

The woman sighed. "Alright. You can come in. But you better be alone," she snapped.

"There's actually a man with me, his name is Daryl. He's making sure there are no dead around... I can make him leave, if it'll make you more comfortable."