chapter thirty

metal room

I sat in my room, pondering what Rick had announced. What did Philip really want? What did he know? What did Rick know? Just as I had driven myself mad with my thoughts Merle stepped into my cell. He looked around the room, bare walls and a single shelf, and frowned. "How good are you at fighting people?" He asked absently, picking up the bottle of whiskey on my shelf. He cracked it open and took a drink.

I took the bottle from his hands and took a drink of my own. "I can hold my own I suppose, why?" I asked, setting the bottle back on the shelf.

Merle glanced behind him. "The Governor don't want the prison," he muttered, "He wants you, me, and Michonne."

I swung my bag over my shoulder. Pain burned in my stomach and arms, but I ignored it. "Let's go then," I said, stepping around Merle.

He caught my arm, eyes wide. "Are you insane, girl? You know the Governor!" He tugged me back into the cell. "He'll cut out your eyes, open you up and take out your parts!"

I sighed at Merle. "I'm not going to wait around for Rick to take the deal, or for the Governor to realize he's not getting us and retaliate," I snapped. "If we are going to do this it has to be tonight."

A memory of what happened in Woodbury flashed through my head. That couldn't happen to any of these people. And if I had to kill every single person in Woodbury to make sure that didn't happen, then I was ready.

I walked out and smiled at Daryl before making my way over to Tessa. "Hey." I said.

"Hey," she responded as she wiped the baby's face with a wet cloth, poor thing must be warm in the Georgia heat. "You fighting, too?" she asked. You have no idea.

I nodded and squinted my eyes against the sun, "hey, if anything happens, I want you to know that I always cared about you alright?" I said quietly.

"Nothing is gunna happen." She said.

I smiled, "I know I don't show it. You know I have problems showing it, but I do care." I said.

She smiled at me, "I know. I love you." she said.

I smiled, "I know." I said.

+

Daryl and I trudged through the field to the woman with the sword. She stabbed the walker's head on the ground. "Hey!" Daryl called, "where's my brother?" He asked. We slowed down when she said nothing, "you kill em?" Daryl asked.

"He let me go." Michonne said. "He said he wanted to go so she didn't herself killed," Michonne pointed her sword at me before lowering it.

"Son of a bitch!" I growled, storming past her towards the direction she had come from. Daryl didn't follow me right away. He spoke to Michonne quietly.

Once I was out of his sight I could hear music. I drew my gun, slowly following its sound until I came to a small clearing with a warehouse in the centre.

I walked around the back of the building, taking out a walker quietly as I moved. When I turned the corner, I could see Merle.

He was fighting with some of the Governor's men. He pushed one of the four off of him harshly, and I shot him without hesitation. Everyone looked up at where the shot came from.

I took the moment to shoot another one of the men in the shoulder, and then again in the neck. Merle jumped up, grabbing the third man. While they fought, the last man ran towards me.

I ducked out of the way and jumped to the ground. I turned as he stood over me and shot.

I laid my head back against the ground and groaned in pain. "Merle, you good?" I called.