chapter thirteen

fallen

Blood.

It covered my hands nearly up to my elbows. It was dripping on the floor. It was on my face.

It was on Shane's hands.

In a split second the group had erupted. As soon as the shot was fired I was on the ground with my hands on a little girl's abdomen. Everyone was screaming, but the whole world had slowed down.

Daryl carried her inside and laid her on the island in the kitchen. I was right behind him with gloves on, ready to try and save the little girl. Carol turned on the light above us.

"The bullet did a through and through." I announced, and everyone let out a small breath of relief. "I think it ruptured her appendix, so I'll still need to perform surgery. I won't know anything else until I get the ultrasound from the ambulance."

Lori ran towards the door, but as soon as it was open she slammed it shut. "The walkers broke through the fence."

My head snapped up towards the scared brunette. "How many?" I asked.

Lori had tears slipping down her face. "Too many." She whispered.

I felt a shiver go down my spine. "Okay..." I said quietly. "Think..."

I had no medical supplies, no way to get her to the ambulance, and no one to help me. I regretted specializing in general instead of trauma and glanced at the tiny girl who was bleeding out on the counter.

"Where's Shane?" I asked. "He should have to watch this," I said, slapping my gloves on the table.

Daryl pulled me to one side. "What are you going to do?" He asked.

I frowned and glanced towards the door. "We can't save her until I get those supplies," I said quietly. "I know it's risky, but if I could just—"

Daryl shook his head. "No." He said, looking defeated. "I'll do it."

I felt my eyes widen. "Daryl..." I started. But then I realized how much faith he had had in me all the times I decided to pull something crazy. "Be careful. Grab the purple suitcase, it's the surgical one." I pulled him in for a hug against my better judgments. He pulled away promptly, as expectantly just like I thought he would.

"Anastasia." Carol asked from the other side of the room.

I walked over and put my ear to her chest. "Okay we're losing her!" I called, beginning compressions. "Someone had better do something!"

Daryl grabbed Shane by the back of the arm. "You're going, too." He snapped.

+

Once they had been gone for fifteen minutes I knew we were looking at the possibility they weren't coming back. Sophia would become septic, and her appendix would steadily pump toxins into her body.  There had been noise when they first left. There had been yelling and gunshots, but not anymore. Everything from the yard was a little too quiet.

I slammed my hands on the counter. "That's it. I'm going!" I yelled. "Carol keep an eye on her heartbeat, and if she turns grey or yellow it means there are toxins in her body and you should be on damage control until I get back. If I die..." I glanced over at Tessa, who looked horrified that I would even say it out loud. "Just be safe." I said quietly.