chapter thirty-one

new

The spring air hit me hard as I stepped outside the prison walls. I pulled my sweater off of my shoulders and laid it on the railing and took a sip of water from my bottle. I started my morning jog around the fences, not listening to the walkers' moans. I pushed my feet harder as I ran faster, I needed to get the restlessness out of my system, I needed to get used to being caged in. We can't have another incident like last month. I pushed myself even harder, closing my eyes tightly before slamming my feet to a stop. I took deep breaths and looked around, I couldn't do this. I had to try.

I smiled and waved at Anne, Rick, and Daryl moving around the main part of the interior fences. I touched my arm, the burn marks and cuts have faded, but some of the scars remained.

Daryl and I are getting ready to go out on a hunting trip, I'm sure we're heading out in about an hour. I smiled at him as he sauntered toward me, him and Rick both. Anne followed slightly behind, we had grown closer since Woodbury, after she helped me with everything.

Daryl had his crossbow over his back, looking across the fence as he came. Rick and Anne were chatting quietly, about the hunting trip.

Once they reached me I smiled at them, my morning run was over now, but we were going out later, so I could sit still for a while, but only a while. I had taken it too far, last month. But I'd make up for it, I have time. Rick said I needed to calm my itch for fighting and running, I say I need to keep working at these morning runs.

"How's the running?" Anne asked me calmly, I know she wanted this to work for me, everyone seemed to want this to work for me, but at the same time people were scared of me. They were scared I was going to explode and kill everyone out of boredom.

"It's going." I said with a smile, "But I only did five laps." I looked around at the farming Rick and Hershel had done over the past few months, it was really great to see Rick put his mind to something, at the same time, I wish he would focus more on the idea of the governor coming back. Maybe I can't save everyone, maybe I can't even save myself, but I can try to. I promised Dale, and I'll keep that promise.

Daryl scoffed, "only, looked like you were damn well enjoying yourself." he said with a smirk. He was trying not to yell at me these past few months. I can tell, I've not been easy to put up with. Especially when last month I wanted to run, I ended up locked in the guard tower for a week until I jumped out.

Daryl shook his head at me, "ready?" I asked with and anxious smile.

"Ladies first." he said as he turned his body to let me past.

I smiled at Rick and Anne before taking my weapons from Daryl and heading off to the bike for the hunting trip.

+

Daryl had stopped the bike a couple miles out after sunset, we had made a little camp by the bike and lit a fire. The fire was more for light than heat for it was a warm night, the orange glow hit the trees and bounced off of the them as I sat across from Daryl staring into the fire, listening to the crackling of the dying embers. I touched my arm and closed my eyes, waiting for the painful memory to shake. A hot tear slipped down my cheek and I wiped it quickly, so Daryl wouldn't see.

"Ye alright?" He asked from across the fire. He must have noticed my wipe the tear, or maybe he noticed me touch my arm, or stop humming. He always seemed to notice when someone was hurting, he usually didn't know what to do, but I was much like him, it was easy for us to understand each other, it also made it easier for us to get under each other's skin.