chapter twenty-eight

whiskey

Merle peeked around the corner to see Daryl and Judith asleep, while I sat there singing a lullaby. "Reaper," Merle whispered. I looked up at him as I continued to sing so the sleeping people would stay asleep. "Milton from Woodbury is here." he said simply.

I stopped my lullaby and shook Daryl awake, "Daryl, we got company." I whispered in his ear.

He slowly moved, picking up his crossbow and holding out his hand to me so he could help me up.

I gave Beth the baby and grabbed my gun before storming outside with the rest of the group. "Are you alone?" Rick asked Milton as he approached the gate.

"Open the gate!" He yelled. I rolled my eyes. He never learns.

"Are you alone?" Rick asked again.

"Rick!" He screamed. Rick sighed and tossed Daryl the keys so he could let him in.

Once he was inside and checked over I sighed and walked over to Daryl, walking past Milton and muttering a quick, but very sly, "Watch yourself."

After we filled Milton in on everything that had happened with Miguel I headed back to my cell. I lid back on the bed and waited for something interesting to happen. Eventually I got bored and decided I would go burn the bodies and bury Jimmy, if it hadn't been done already.

I walked into the yard, walking past Michonne and Milton as they fought about the governor, and down into the field. I stabbed every head before taking the bodies to the pathway so I didn't contaminate the soil with the burning bodies. It would be a while before I could actually light them, but at least now they were ready.

I went to the graves for the first time since I got here, sweat and dirt covering my body as I looked over the graves.

Lori, and one unidentifiable one. I bent down to touch the cross, there was nothing marking it, but there were wood chips broken off around the side telling me there used to be.

"It was yours." Daryl's voice said from behind me. "Tessa gave us one of your necklaces."

I smiled and stood up, dusting myself off. "No one wanted to build it." I said to myself.

"No." he said sadly. "Everyone needed you here."

I sighed, "where's Merle's?" I asked.

Daryl chuckled and played with the bandana in his hand, "I didn't build one for em." Daryl said. "We didn't find his body." he said quietly.

"But you found mine?" I asked.

"Found one the looked like you 'bout a week after you left." He said quietly.

+

I sighed, "what did you mean earlier?" I asked as I turned to look at him.

Daryl sighed, "I don't know." he said. "I guess I jus meant I wanted to be 'ere, or at least wanted ta be 'round you and Tess."

I smiled and wrapped my arms around his midsection, "thank you." I said quietly.

He wrapped his arms around me to return the hug and rested his head on mine. I've never seen Daryl like this, it's cute. Makes me wanna laugh. "For wha?" He asked. I could feel his chest vibrate as he talked.

"The grave." I said. "Looking for me. Coming back. Everything in between." I said. "No one else woulda done it."

I felt Daryl chuckle. "Reaper?" He asked quietly.