chapter thirty-six

fox

Everyone was laughing over stale crackers and squirrel as they swapped war stories. I stood on the roof of the car, waiting for something to happen. Someone climbed up on the cab of the truck, I watched as Tessa came into view. I hopped down to meet her. The mattress that was placed in the cab making a nice landing as I flopped myself down. Tessa sat next to me, staring up at the stars. She wasn't the same young girl anymore. She was a woman. You could see she had aged between now and six months ago. She turned to me with a bright smile in which I did not return. Her smile dropped and she looked at her hands. "I lost the baby a few weeks after the prison." she said quietly. "Merle was upset, he ran off. Anne went to look for him but a herd came through while they were out. I was on my own until Cas and Dean found me." She said. "How about you?"

I sighed, looking up at the stars, "I killed the governor and I ran into the woods, followed the train track until I found this Halloween store. I gathered a bunch of stuff and made my way to Perry." I said. "I followed Lonnie for a few weeks, I thought maybe he had information. He calls me Fox." I said quietly. "I couldn't find any sign of you or Daryl. I assumed you were dead. Me and Lonnie traveled around until we landed in Macon. We were in the way to Maddison when you found us." I said quietly.

Lonnie smiled at me when I looked up at him. The asshat was always making fun of my height, I waited for a remark but none came. "What?" I asked as he adjusted his arms on the table.

"You're remembering. I've noticed you do that a lot. What do you remember?" He asked.

I grabbed my knife and twisted my new name into the table in a fancy lettering. "Death." I muttered.

Tessa laughed, "okay, Fox, what's up with the mask?"

I looked at her for a long while. "I couldn't show him my face." I whispered.

Tessa pulled my head into her lap, letting me lay down across the mattress. "Anastasia, Reaper, Fox; whoever you are, you know I love you." she said.

I closed my eyes, letting my brain slow down, "I know." I said before I zoned off.

----

"Darling, stop." Lonnie said from across the truck. Tessa was driving with Cas and Dean, I was driving with Lonnie. I was fooling around with the radio stations and annoying the hell out of Lonnie.

"'Darling, stop.'" I mocked. "You sound like my mother." I said.

"Why are you in such a good mood today?" He laughed, "I haven't seen you this happy since...ever!" He said.

I smiled and bent over to kiss him on the cheek, "it's a good day, I can sense it." I said.

He laughed and sped past Tessa's car. I laughed and climbed up through the window, holding onto the bar going across the roof of the truck. I cheered as loud as I could, knowing nothing was going to catch me right now. "What are you doing?" He asked.

I shook my head, "you ask stupid questions." I said, slamming my lips to his. He reacted quickly, slowing the truck and letting Tessa's car pass us, his hand found its way to my waist as he tried to guide the truck along the road. I pulled away, putting my feet on the dash.

"You wanna talk about that?" Lonnie asked.

I opened a book from my bag and got comfortable. "Nope."

----

The fire danced across the blackness of the cool midnight air. Lonnie kept stealing glances my way. I smiled and sharpened my arrow. Tessa sighed from across the fire, leaning back against the truck. "Do you think our people are headed to Maddison?" she asked.