chapter twenty-nine

competition

I pulled my bike in and parked it alongside Daryl's, I could've gone with him but I don't want to be anywhere near him right now. He pissed me off. Using me to get over his own drama with Merle. He's angry, and to deal with his emotions he has to fuck with mine. Daryl didn't look at me, nor me him, as we all walked in around the building we were supposed to meet the governor at.

He only wanted to speak with Rick, but I had a few words to get in myself. We checked over the buildings and Rick went inside, we could hear the start of the governor and Ricks conversation but we ran around the building to there Hershel was pulling up in the car.

"He's already in there, sittin down wit Rick." Daryl said. I looked around the place, there was nothing around, not even a departed.

"Hey, guys," I said softly. Hershel looked at me but Daryl didn't, "I don't see any cars." I pointed out.

Daryl looked at me finally at me, even if only for a brief second, before looking away, "don't feel right. Leave it runnin." He said to Hershel. I rolled my eyes and stepped towards the building where Rick and the governor were talking. Daryl grabbed my arm to stop me, "what do you think you're doin?" He asked.

I ripped my arm from his grip, "talkin to the governor, I got a bone to pick." I said. I didn't get another step before he stepped in front of me and crossed his arms. "What? Now you wanna talk to me?" I asked.

"Maybe I do." Daryl said simply.

I looked up at him confidently, not shying away from my answer. "Get over it." I said walking off as cars pulled into the lot. I walked in quietly, not speaking to the governor. "Rick?" I asked.

"Yeah?" He said, not taking his eyes from the governor.

I walked over to him calmly, "whatever he says about what he did to me doesn't leave this room, clear?" I asked.

Rick looked at me, "what did he do?" He asked.

"Doesn't matter." I said. I looked over at the governor and walked out of the room, muttering some choice words the way out.

When I exited the building Daryl was in Martinez's face. "Martinez." I said simply, "thought I'd seen the last of you." I laughed, shaking hands with him.

He laughed kindly, "And I you, although I liked you better when you were shooting the gun in a dress." He said.

I felt Daryl's glare hit the both of us and sighed, "yeah, I burned the dress." I said.

"What? Really?" He asked. "Excuse me."

Martinez stepped away to shut the door and I walked over to Hershel, not saying a word. Daryl's gaze followed me before his glare hit Martinez again.

After a short while of silence Milton spoke up as he walked forward. "There's no reason we cannot take this time, to explore the issue together." he suggested.

I smirked, "Always the hopeful one." I said. Milton smiled at me, its the first time we've greeted each other since I left Woodbury, besides my threat at the prison. I wonder how he's been? I stepped forward and greeted him with a handshake. Outside of the prison, I didn't have to threaten him.

"Boss said to sit tight and shut up." Martinez said.

"Don't you mean the governor?" Daryl asked.

"They don't address him by that status." I said simply. "Only the citizens do, special people called him by his name." I said.

"It's a good thing, that they're sitting down, especially after what happened." Milton said as he played with his fingers.