chapter twenty-four

Paul Miguel

Winter was hard. We found and interrogated eight of Shane's men, but we still hadn't found Lori. Rick had announced after Dale's death that he was in charge, that the camp was no longer a democracy, and I was pleased with that. I do my own thing without getting in the way. It wasn't like I would fight Rick; I respected him for keeping us together during the winter. I sat on the floor next to  Tessa in the house and watched everyone; Daryl was plucking an owl, Carl was opening dog food, Carol was eating peanut butter, Rick was by the window.

Everyone was silent, I started to hum for  Tessa and it seemed to calm her, a few people who recognized the song nodded along, Daryl smiled at me. It was, to me, one of the most calming songs in the world.

Rick stormed over to Carl and threw the dog food at the wall. I reached over to my bag and handed him one of the last few candy packages. He smiled thankfully at me and started to eat.

Merle whistled signalling we had company.

We all ran outside to leave, I hopped on the back of Daryl's bike and  Tessa drove my truck. This would get easier. It would. -- not yet. My arm had healed for the most part, after Daryl saw it and basically forced me to treat it. The scar was jagged at first but now it's a small wavy white line.

I remember Daryl asking what the mark was. I wish I had told him I had been stupid enough to get myself scratched. Luckily it wasn't infected.

When we got far enough up the highway we all stopped and I climbed off. Daryl and I don't talk much, but we help each other and take care of  Tessa. It was helpful, to be there for each other without saying a word.

I walked silently over to Rick, waiting for him to give us instructions. He directed everyone to their jobs before leading Merle, Daryl, and I into the woods to hunt.

Daryl handed me his crossbow and pointed at a squirrel. "Good practice," he said quietly. I drew back the bow and shot a squirrel that was scattering up a tree.

I picked up the squirrel with a triumphant grin and followed Rick and Daryl. Merle stayed a ways behind, claiming he would hunt by himself. "That's a damn shame." Daryl muttered. I looked up from my feet to see a prison with its yards full of walkers.

I looked at Rick, I knew what he was thinking. We were taking that prison. I shifted in my feet. "It's a good idea," I decided to myself out loud. Then I remembered the way Shane described where he had been keeping Lori.

"I'm going to hang back, wait for the group. I'll scope it out," I said quietly, handing Daryl back his bow.

He looked at me quizzically. "Why don't you and Merle stay behind?" He said, handing Merle his gun.

Merle grinned and nodded. "I'll keep er safe."

I rolled my eyes. "I'll make sure he stays out of trouble," I retorted.

Once they had left, Merle began whistling. I stared out over the prison yard. Merle followed me, "Ey! Girl! Why the hell re you so damn quiet all of a sudden!?" He yelled.

I sighed and realized that if I was going to continue my plan, I would need to incorporate Merle. Otherwise he wasn't letting me out of his sights. The prison yard stared back at me.

"I think this is what Shane was talking about that day in the store. Big walls, secure," I paused. "But the walkers..." I said slowly. "They could be a ruse. It would be harder to sneak the whole group in, but if you and I went on our own."