chapter twenty-two

escapee

"Just keep your hand still." I said angrily as Merle tried to move against me to leap at Shane, who was tied to a chair. Merle kept trying to point at Shane while he yelled at him.

"And I'll tell you another thing! If your ass was worth the effort, I'd kick you all the way to-" I pressed in on Merle's hand and he let out a yell. "What the hell was that for!?" He yelled.

I smiled and continued to wrap. "Listen here you ugly son'va'bitch," Shane yelled. I walked over to him and tipped his head back, pressing a cotton pad to his bleeding eye. "you're lucky Reaper pulled me back! I would have stomped you!" He yelled.

"First of all, I didn't pull you back, I tried to kick your ribs in, second." I pressed in on his rib with my index finger to make my point.

I could hear Rick laugh from behind the counter. He couldn't see us, but he could hear us. I was cleaning the boys up by the broken window.

I smiled to myself and kept wiping at Shane's eye. "'Hey girlie!" Merle yelled, "why don't you take a step back, his face is right in your chest!" He yelled.

I turned back to Merle, who's hand was bleeding through the bandages. He glanced up at me with concern. "You okay, city girl?"

I forced my lips into a smile. "What do we do with him?" I whispered. "We can't let him, and he's too dangerous to keep around, plus he has Lori."

I felt something move in the bottom of my stomach. "Something is wrong." I muttered, reaching for my gun.

There was a click behind me as someone pressed a gun against my spine. "Don't move," they ordered, wrapping their arm around my neck. My body was pulled backwards against them, the gun digging into my side.

"Who are you?" Merle yelled, climbing to his feet slowly so he didn't startle the man with the gun.

The man chuckled next to me. "I'm a friend of Shane's. Name's Ed."

Another man emerged from behind Shane, cutting him loose. Shane stood up, rubbing his wrists. "You all are going to wish you hadn't done that," he threatened. The man who cut Shane loose grabbed Merle, holding him back.

Shane walked towards me slowly. "You. You have been one giant pain in my ass," he said, grabbing my jaw and forcing me to look at him.

I looked up at Shane, realizing that I was completely helpless. "I have been," I agreed. "But you deserved it."

Shane laughed, letting my face go. The man holding me let go of my neck and held both my wrists behind my back. Shane stared at me with a grin on his face. "You are going to deserve everything that's coming to you," he growled. His hand met my face, the sound cracking through the air. My whole body fell, but I was harshly pulled to my feet by my wrists.

"Screw you, Shane," I snapped.

Shane hit me again, drawing blood from my lip. I pushed back tears as my wrists were twisted farther up my back to keep me standing. "Now I need a doctor. Lori can't deliver her baby alone in a cell," he growled, "so you are going to help me. You can go peacefully, or I can knock you out and drag you there."

I glanced over at Merle, who was looking as though he was going to cry. "Girl..." he said slowly, but the guys holding him back hit him again to shut him up.

I looked up at Shane. The blood dropped from my nose and lip down onto my chest. "Is the place we would be staying secure enough for the birth?" I asked.

Shane grinned. "It's got concrete walls, fences, and heavy weight doors. It's perfect for Lori and my baby," he said, and I swear the evil glint in his eyes intensified.