Chappie 12

Chappie 12

Thankyou all for your wonderful comments and for reading x enjoy :)

''What are you doing here Katie, are you okay, you still look so pale, sit down and ill bring you a cup over'' Katie smiled weakly at Bettys fussing as she slid into a booth at the diner. It had been a week since the incident at the library, and her attacker had yet to be seen the suspense leaving her a shivering bundle of anxiety she had found herself jumping at the littlest of sounds, every shadows posed a threat that was all too real. Sleep was eluding her, her old house creaking , the familiar sounds usually so comforting becoming a threat, every movement of the shadows through the window caused her imagination to run away with her. Of course she had been offered to stay in a safe house by the police until her attacker had been caught, but she had refused, this was her home there was no way that he was going to scare her away from it.

''Here you go sugar, you sure your okay, we heard what had happened, nasty business all round. I hope they catch that lowlife scum so we can all sleep easier'' Katie stared blankly at the mug of coffee through Bettys tirade, she had heard this same speech from almost everybody she had met since she had come out of the hospital, did they not think she would be relieved when he gets caught, this wasnt a random attack not that the town knew that, this was personal to her, this was unfinished business and it terrified her that she wasnt safe, that anyone she met could be the monster that taunts her with his absence.

''Im fine Betty, ill be better when the police catch him, but they are doing the best they can'' Katiegritted out the rehersed speech, this part was easy, reassuring people she was fine, she had done it once she could do it again. ''Of course sugar'' Katie's head whipped up from the mug and met Bettys eyes, she knew she hadnt fooled the older woman, but Betty didnt persue the conversation, she knew when to leave well enough alone, and that was one of the things that Katie had warmed to about her.

finishing up her coffee, she rose to leave the diner keeping her head low to avoid any more mundane converstions of how she was, and had the police told her anything. She just wanted to reach the comfort of the library she wondered for the hundreth time that day about weather she was ready to go back, back to the place that he had gotten to her the first time. Yes she concluded she was ready she refused to let him scare her into hiding, she was more wary now she knew he was back, he would not catch her unaware again.

a passerby bumped into her shoulder making her stumble slighly as she righted herself, just as an arm held her steady the strange contact made her jump away from the stranger, her breathing jamming in her lungs making her pant in fear, her eyes wide looking at the figure infront of her, her heart rate slowing slighlt as she recognised Ed. ''Oh god Ed im so sorry, i wasnt looking where i was going''.

''Its okay Katie me lass, how are you, me and Laura was going to come by and see you at some point, make sure you were alright'' Katies heart rate had calmed down her breathing coming back into control ''Im okay Ed, i just wish they would find him sooner rather than later, im sorry i must go im running late for work, tell Laura to pop by anytime'' she gave him a final wave and walked towards the towering sandstone building, her eyes fixated on the steps, someone had removed the police tape around the area she was attacked, everything looked normal again, familiar, but her skin crawled with the knowledge that even now he could be watching, turning swiftly she looked behind her and scanned her eyes over the crowd trying to see anything unusual but all looked normal, shrugging her shoulders she walked through the glass doors determined to bring some familiar routine back into her life.

She couldnt do this she decided three hours later, she couldnt deal with the questions from the people entering the library some she had never seen before, she could not stand the fear of knowing he could be in the room now watching just waiting to get her on her own toying with her watching her squirm, deciding enough was enough and she needed some time off to sort her emotions back into the box and bury them like she did before, she needed to do it or she would go insane and he would win either way. A decision made she rung her boss and explained the situation, she was told cover would be arranged and wold arrive shortly to relieve her so she could go home.

A sigh escaped her lips as she looked at her little house, passed on from her parents, the house was her pride and joy and she loved the comfort she felt knowing it was completely hers and not co owned by the bank. It had taken ten minutes for the cover to arrive and Katie was grateful that she didnt have to deal with the probing questions, questions she couldnt answer things she didnt know the answer to herself.

Pushing her key into the lock she pushed the door open, noting it met with a little resistance on the other side curious to what it was she pushed the door fully open, the umberella stand her mother had bought lay on the floor its contents sprawled across the hall, picking up a umberella off the floor, she moved further into the house, noting as she went that things were laying over turned or on the floor.

Her heartbeat became loud, her breathing seemed to echo in the quiet house, as she walked into her living room. Tears welled in her eyes as she saw the damage, her sofa was slashed and the stuffing and springs visible through the deep welts, her tv was smashed and on its side on the floor her photo frames lay in a heap of broken glass and splintered wood infront of the fireplace and her mothers family hierloom, a japenese vase lay in fragmented pieces on the floor, a sob had her whirling away from the damage her hand over her mouth trying to steady herself as she reached for her mobile phone to dial the one person who could help.

The ring in her ear seemed to last forever until a deep voice ran down the reciever at hearing the friendly voice among all the chaos a sob escaped her throat ''Katie, are you okay, where are you'' the sob turning slowly into hysteria ''im at home Jay, oh god its ruined'' her eyes connected with the wall behind her that once held a family portrait, ''oh god'' she whispered as she dropped the phone. The blood red letters searing into her brain, her eyes following the words slowly the sentence sinking in, she knew who had done this if she needed confirmation this gave it.

''KATIE, KATIE ANSWER ME DAMMIT KATIE" she heard Jays panicked voice through the phone abandoned on the floor as she quickly bent to retrieve it, ''im here Jay'' she was numb she realised this was too much to take in, her mind couldnt comprehend what was happening. ''Katie whats going on, ive rung Leo and the police theyre on their way, talk to me sweetie, whats happening, im at work i cant get to you, dammit Katie talk to me. She heard his concern and it seeped in to her conciousness ''Jay he's been here and left me a message'', the curse down the phone made her flinch in response, ''Okay sweetheart, i want you to leave the house go into the street and wait, Leo is on his way and the police should be with you shortly, what does the message say'', Katie couldnt move she knew it was best to move out of the house away from the damage and the danger but her eyes wouldnt leave the blood red painted words on her beautiful beige wall, the simple usually happy message taking on a sinister feel as her mind kept repeating the words over and over again ILL SEE YOU SOON.