Chappie 8

Chappie 8

It had been three weeks since the disaster at the ranch, and Katie had withdrawn back into herself, the only outward side of the emotional turmoil she felt was the more than normal pale face and the deep dark smudges under her eyes from lack of sleep, she had yet to see Leo, but her dreams were haunted by the dark eyed man and the desire that had run through them, she was constantly plagued in sleep by the memory of his kiss the feel of his body pressed up against her, the feel of his hair in his hands, the soft silky tresses sliding through her fingers, then his words and bonnies would echo over and over accessable, nothing for men to want, tragic girl

On hearing the words her dream would morph into that terrifying night, the dark figure hovering above her the glint of the knife and his deep husky voice whispering the parted words that made her skin crawl, tragic girl asking for it, tragic girl, tragic, tragic. She would hear the words over and over before sitting bolt upright and fnding herself settled in her own bed shivers runnin wn her spine, the sheets tangled around her legs, knowing that she wouldnt be able to go back to sleep she would generally opt for getting up and watching the dawn rise.sssss

The lack of sleep she had been getting was noticeable to the people around her, they shared worried glances amonst themselves if they thought she wasnt looking, like now for instance, as she looked over the rim of a cup of coffee noticing the worried glances from some of the regular patrons as she glanced around the crowded diner, Bettys Place, served the best food for miles, but the friendliness of the place made it a hit and brought people and families flocking through its doors again and again almost on a daily basis.

"Katie sugar, are you okay weve noticed your looking a little peaky lately, no one has seen you eat a crumb and your looking gaunt" Katie sat silently as Betty herself sat in the booth opposite her, Betty was the owner and manager of the diner, in her late fifties she was still a force to be reckoned with, her short grey hair curled around her head like a fluffy halo, her blue eyes saw and knew everything and her skinny frame hid the iron steel core that run throught the older woman.

''Im fine Betty, just tired'' Katie often wished she had told people about that night, but realised quickly she didnt know the attacker, it could be anyone so she kept it to herself and promised Jake to do the same, how she wished she could really lean on someone, but her pride and fear wouldnt allow it. ''Katie darlin no offence but you cant lie worth a damn, now tell Betty whats botherin ye'' Katies eyes drifted to the door as the chime announced a custome instantly Katie blanched in her seat thereas she recognised the shadow framed by the doorway was none other than Leo, his eyes scanned the diner and landed on her, Katie felt a rush of emotions flood through her anger, fear, desire all rolled around and had the blood rushing from her face making her light headed could have sworn she even swayed in her seat, yet she couldnt break the eye contact with the man still stood in the doorway.

Suddenly Leo lurched forward breaking the eye contact as Jake followed quickly through the door complaining over the size of his stomach and starvation. Katie looked back at Betty to see the older womans eyes narrowed on her face, and a small nod of her head suddenly had Katie realising that the shrewd woman had put two and two together and got four, and as if Katie needed reinforcement Betty gripped her hand and gave a squeeze before muttering ''stay put'' before attending to the two men at the counter.

Before the older woman and even made it to the counter Katie had drained her coffee and risen from the booth, putting the correct money on the table for the beverage, then as quickly as she could she began walking to the door hoping to god or anyone that would listen that Jake wouldnt notice her and pull her into conversation, fate seemed to be on her side as the door chimed and warm humid air hit her face signalling her escape, she paused to take in a lungful of air, only noticing she had held her breath as she ran from the diner leaving a tightening in her chest. Calling herself seven shades of coward she jumped onto her old faithful bicycle and rode for work barely missing being hit by a passing motorist in her escape.

Leo watched from the diner as the woman paused before getting on her bicycle, and instantly taking off into the road narrowly missed being hit by an oncoming BMW did the woman have no regard for her own safety she didnt even flinch as the horns blared, didnt she know she could get seriouusly injured or killed, she didnt even wear a helmet for gods sake.

Leo had not seen hide or hair of the elusive Miss Woodward in the few weeks since they shared a mind numbing kiss and even Jake seemed to have seen little of his best friendhe found himself thinking of her randomly throgh the day, even Jake seems a little down and hurt at her withdrawl from him, but Leo was to blame not that his brother would ever say it but Leo knew she was only doing as he had told her.

He figured that the look on her face as he entered the diner would haunt him forever, he had watched as she had visibly paled even more so than her usual creamy complexion, she had even swayed in her seat which had given him a moments pause and worry in the doorway of the resteraunt. Her blue eyes seemed wide on her face the blue black smudges hinted, or more like damn well shouted at her lack of sleep and she looked thinner almost sick looking. But it was the look in her eyes that had him by the throat, stark naked fear had shone in her eyes, fear of him of his temper he didnt know but that looked had him rattled and there wasnt a damn thing he could do about it, he had said horrible things to her he knew that things he couldnt and wouldnt take back, and his concience had dogged him every damn day since, and his mind had hounded him with memories of the way her body felt against his, the feel of her lips touching his her sweet taste of warm woman and champagne and it seems that taste had become a heady aphrodisiac, hell damnation he was waking up with the memory of her still haunting from his dreams and a erection so goddamn hard he could cut glass, he had almost forgotten what a hot shower felt like.

The trouble was Leo saw no immediate ends to his cold morning showers, the reasons still stood, her age his brother, himself and something dark that he sensed but couldnt quite figure out that laid between Katie and his brother.