Chappie 4

Sorry for the long wait, so here it is :)

Katie stared at the woman in the mirror, biting her lip in worry, Jake had arrived half an hour ago, and he had taken one look at her in a black shapeless dress and declared that the dress made her look dowdy, that short word that had come from her friends mouth pierced something deep inside her that was still hurting and closed off from the world, though she knew that he meant no harm and he didn't want her to embarrass herself infront of a room full of people by turning up unprepared and feeling uncomfortable but dammit dowdy was it really that bad?

After the initial shock wore off and she slammed a lid on the emotions that threatened tears to flow down her face she noticed him wielding a boutique bag like a knight with a sword, before quickly unveiling a new and expensive outfit, which at present was causing her serious anxiety issues. Her eyes remained glued to the mirror and the stranger staring back at her, Blue almost black pants hugged her hips before they flared at the knees to cover her wedged sandals just revealing her new pedicure which thankfully she had chosen to get one on a whim. She run her hand over the red jumper while her mirror image did the same, the plunging neckline emphasised her chest, the jumper according to the label was cashmere and tighter than she was used to but she had to admit it was beautiful and she hardly recognised the woman looking back at her.

A low whistle emanated from the bed which had Katie's eyes meeting Jakes in the mirror " wow Katie you scrub up well, you look ....beautiful"

Her eyes glanced back to her reflection her worry showing as she but her lip.

The clear sign of her tension set Jakes teeth on edge, she was a stunner no doubt about that but she was always hiding under baggy shapeless clothes and now he'd taken them away from her the anxiety she always carried constantly began to show, the reason for not showing off her drop dead figure only a few people were privy to the information him being one of them, but now he wondered if taking away her comfort zone and her shapeless armour was the best thing to do.

" I'll be your side the entire time I promise you" Jake promised but Katie was on the edge of declining his offer he could see that plainly but before she could voice her protests he picked up her purse and ushered her outside to the awaiting truck and he wondered for the second time in as many minutes if he was doing the right thing.

As they drove to the ranch Jakes mind wondered back to the first time he'd met Katie, he was starting his residency at the local hospital he was on his second month and at the age of nineteen and already dead on his feet, he was just about ready to drink the tar like substance that they tried to pass off as coffee when an emergency was called in and had all available staff on standby, a few minutes later and the hospital doors crashed open and a young woman covered in blood was wheeled in accompanied by two paramedics, the paramedics giving the run through on the patient as they rushed the pale figure to the OR to be ready for surgery. Jake barely heard the voice of the paramedic stating statistics and vitals as his eyes ran over the blood on the woman her dress had been torn, deep gashes were visible on her torso, standing out against pale skin, her face was so badly bruised that it had swollen to twice the normal size the sight had him swearing in anger at the human race and the animal that could do this damage to a defenceless woman, Jake switched back to the paramedic as he continued " badly beaten, possible sexual assault, several knife wounds to upper torso and lower abdomen, bite marks on shoulder and scratches on inner thigh, non responsive at scene condition remained same on route".

The doctor and Jakes superior Doctor Bentley thanked the paramedic and continued to the OR, and Jake was instructed to scrub up, it was touch and go for the young woman who they had yet to find the identity to who was labeled Jane Doe during the procedure, her heart had given out twice during the task of stopping the internal bleeding and stitching her back up, but after several days where the prognosis was bleak she has shocked them all as she recovered fully and during the recovery process that followed Jake had got to know the name of the beautiful creature and formed a bond with her similar to the one he shared with his brother and soon they became best friends, although Jake knew she bared scars of her terrible ordeal from that night both physically and mentally she had confided in him the events that led her into the hospital, and Jake swore to her that day that this would remain in the dark from other people except the police she was reluctant to report the incident but the thought this could happen to some other poor woman persuaded her to do the right thing. Jake had watched over the months that followed as she became withdrawn and Anti social even when she covered her body as to not attract attention he had kept his promised to her and protected the secret and let her handle life her way, until today, he had decided it had gone on long enough and he was taking it into his hands to bring her into life again make her become involved in the world and he hoped that it was for her own good.

It didn't sit well either with Jake that the bastard had got away unharmed and the police couldn't find the son of a hog anywhere, Jake just hoped he'd slip up again because next time the bastard was his.