Chappie 29

Chapter 29

''What do you mean you dont know how she got home?'' Leo watched his brother pace the confines of the room it had been a full twenty four hours since his argument with Katie that had her leaving without looking back. ''We had a fight and she left, thats all there is to say'' he knew the worry that was eating Jake because he was feeling the exact same where the hell was she?.

Jake couldnt rid his mind of the way she had looked that night he had first seen her in the hospital, he had seen what the bastard was capable of doing but this time he knew he wouldnt be fixing her broken body he would be identifying it. He had come home from the hospital eary hours of the morning before crashing still under the illusion that Katie was curled up in the bed down the hall from his at the ranch he had been worried about her while he worked but he found a small semblance of relief especially when Leo had told him she had gone back with him after the bastard got into her house again.

But upon waking when the sun was almost setting he had gone in search of his best friend hoping to take her mind of the danger she was facing but to his surprise his brother didnt know where she was and how she had got there. Jake had tried every known place she enjoyed, her home, the library he had even checked the diner and called every known aquaintence of hers that he could think of but no one had seen anything of her for the last day. As each minute past the suspicion that she had been taken by that bastard had him on edge and the anger at himself and his brother burning through his system.

A loud knock echoed through the quiet room the visitor not giving the occupants chance to answer before they knocked again, Leo stood and opened the door at the insistant knocking wondering if for a second that Katie had come back to explain this was all a mistake and that she was fine but his face and heart fell when he noticed a female police officer he had never seen before stood in the doorway ''Mr Travis, im officer Louise Ohara can i please come in?'' Leo hesitated for a second as he looked at the badge she held infront of his face before nodding and moving aside to allow her in the room.

Jake looked up as his brother entered the room swiftly followed by the most beautiful woman he had ever seen standing quietly he allowed his eyes to wander down her body she was tall and willowy thin he concluded a body that he could barely see through the plain officers uniform she wore, it was her eyes that had him entranced big brown eyes dominated her face making him think of little kittens but the steel he saw behind them spoke volumes about what she had survived and witnessed in her life. ''Miss Ohara this is my brother Jake Travis'' barely glancing in his direction except to nod him her acknowledge she turned towards Leo ''after your report we have been looking into the disappearance of Miss Woodward, unfortunately up until a few hours ago we had nothing''

Leo could feel the blood run from his body as she carried on ''we found a car abandoned in a ditch not far from here about a mile down road, we found blood in the car and this'' both brothers watched as Louise unfolded a bag they hadnt been aware she was holding, in the bottom of the bag was the small purse that Katie usually carried the thing that disturbed them the most was the red stain that crowded the bottom corner staining the fabric ''is she?....was she?, did you find her?'' Leo barely got the words through his tight throat the fear was all consuming ''we didnt find Miss Woodward but we did find out who the car was registered to and im afraid your not going to like it''

Jake tried to swollow back the angry retort at her evasiveness ''well are you going to damn tell us so we can go find her?'' he wasnt prepared when her intense scrutiny fell onto him and he fought the urge to shuffle under the penetrating gaze ''yes Mr Travis, the car belonged to a Mr Edward Fellam'' the silence in the room was defeaning Louise decided as she watched the varying emotions play on the faces of the two men in the room on the older brothers face she saw disbelief and anger warring in the depth of his eyes but it was the one who called himself Jake that had her attention, the man was pure perfection but it was the the unshed tears and guilt that cracked a little of her armour, the one she had built around her heart after Simeon... refusing for her mind to dwell on the past she checked in on the radio if there was any new developments but at the negative response she sighed the longer Miss Woodward remained missing as a police officer she knew the chance of finding her alive became slim to none.