28: Surprise

Warning: Strong Language Ahead.

--- --- ---

"I don't even know what I want to be anymore. A villain? A regular civilian? I might as well be better off as a fucking clam! I thought I finally got everything all sorted out, you know? I didn't think that I was going to meet him again!" You scream in agony, ripping your water bottle out of your backpack. 

You take a long chug before continuing your rant, shifting slightly on your makeshift stone bench. "The moment I thought he was out of my mind, he pops right back in and makes me remember everything that I wanted to forget." 

'Arf!'

Tilting your head downwards, you stare dead straight into it's sparkling eyes. "Don't give me those eyes. One wrong move and you become my next food ration," you warn the playful pup. 

Confiding your entire thoughts to a dog is definitely not one of your proudest moment, but you needed a way to get things out of your mind

Confiding your entire thoughts to a dog is definitely not one of your proudest moment, but you needed a way to get things out of your mind. Still, you couldn't help but smile whenever it's tail would excitedly wag by your feet as you mutter random words to it. You deposit the rest of your water in it's water dish, watching it gratefully drink it all until the plate was clean. 

Ever since you arrived to the burning village, the puppy somehow found you and decided to tag along on your journey, following you through dangerous trails and scorned mountains. No matter how many times you tried to leave it, it still finds a way to come back to you. 

Absently, you give it's head a quick pat, ruffling his fur along the way.A smile graces your lips as you peer down at it's orbs shining back at you with outstanding determination.

"You sure are gutsy, aren't you? I like that. You sorta remind me of-" 

A loud bang stops you mid-sentence, making you jolt up to scan around and see what caused such a noise. 

"I guess we found it," you let out a sigh of disbelief as you witness the chaos.

Now in front of you, you find the structure of the half man - half machine contraption that you were looking for. Although it was moving in the opposite direction from you, you could make out the solid flame that it was shooting out through it's poor excuse of an arm. Your mouth drops open with a mix of awe and shock as you watch the solid buildings and tribal abodes that loitered around begins to melt into a weird puddle of overlapping putty as it touches the fire. Some screams could be heard from the distance, but they were quickly muffled up by the fuming sound of it's prey. 

As you were watching the uproar and destruction of half the village, you fail to notice the innocent puppy barking at you as an attempt to gain back your attention. By the time you did notice, the puppy has lost interest in you and has decided to roam around the area. When it was heading straight towards the machine, you start to panic. 

"Oh god no. No. Puppy, leave it. Leave it! Puppy, sit! Come here, puppy, come here."

It continues to stride towards the machine, ignoring your desperate pleas. Of all the things it wants to play with, it chooses the fucking machine. Your heart starts racing more as you watch the machine turn to stare straight at the puppy. "Oh for fucks sake- PUPPY! HERE! Come. Here. Please. NOW."

You were running like a madman, discarding all your bags without a second thought at the little resting area. All that was riding up your mind was to catch up to your little buddy. The creak of it's arm surprises you. It was now pointed straight down at the puppy. 

I guess the robot's not much of a dog person.

"WATCH OUT!" You scream with your hand outstretched in attempt to pull it back to your side, but it was too late. In seconds, your vision blurs into a glowing flash of red and yellow, instinctively withdrawing your hands to cover your face. Before you know it, the energetic puppy was no longer there. 

You weren't given a chance to breathe or morn as you notice the arm was now pointed effortlessly at you, making you the next target. Quickly, you dash away from it's projectile path as fast as you could, but it keeps it's trace at you. You could see the faint glow emit out in preparation for it's next blow. 

"FUCK!" You scream, throwing a quick firewall before you as an attempt to counter it's flames. 

To your surprise, the robot's flames did not stand a chance compared to yours. His flames basically dissolves into yours once it touches your inferno. 

In the midst of unexpected adrenaline, you charge straight at the machine as it recharges for it's next blow. It didn't take long before you climbed your way onto the machine, wrapping your legs around it securely so that you wouldn't fall off nor get blasted with it's bright energy. 

With a sharp blade, you try to slice the shit out of it, but not even a dent was created. Rotating, you try to stab it again at a more fleshy part, but all it did was ooze out a red liquid before bouncing your knife back out of it. 

"What the fuck? How am I supposed to break this apart if it won't break?" You mutter to yourself, stabbing it repetitively. "If only I know how to use Haki!" Still, no damage was done to the monster. Your sharp blade however, was now bent inwards to a bunch of zigzags.

"Fuck, that was my good knife too.." you sigh, tossing the knife away and onto the volcanic ground. You watch the machine stomp all over it, but still no damage was brought to it. 

As another attempt, you try landing a punch at it, but all it did was bruise your knuckles, causing you to recoil in pain. In the midst of frustration, you angrily punch it at the flesh again with an unexpected harsh flame wrapping around it. To your surprise, it successfully penetrates the machine, scalding the area to a dark purple mess. 

Although it creates fire, fire is it's weakness. 

A wide smirk appears on your face. "This is for you, doggo!" You yell cockily, cracking your knuckles in preparation to go full ham on your victim. 

Just as you were about to ignite your hands, the corner of your eyes catches a random object flying close towards you. 

Like a deer in the headlight, all you did was stare as the unexpected object forces you harshly off the machine. The rough impact causes you to blackout for a few seconds. It doesn't take you long before realizing your back was pressed on the burning ground. 

You wince at the heavy object that was still resting on top of you, making you shift crazily to get it off of you. Your eyes flutter open when you feel the weight lift slightly off of you. Painfully focusing your attention back up at what had hit you, your eyes widen in overwhelming shock. The familiar laughter causes goosebumps to form all over your body.  

"Surprise," M smiles on top of you, showing off his signature smirk. "I'm back." 

--- --- --

Fun fact. I'm scared of dogs. I never owned a dog. I don't know how dogs work. Hell, I don't even know how people work. 

Feel free to follow, comment and vote!