{05}

( NATHAN )

( NATHAN )

HOGWARTS
SEPTEMBER, 2015

Being a spirit, or even a ghost, was lonely. For years, there was no one to talk to. All Nathan could do was roam the castle and watch as students were sorted, watched them grow up, and eventually leave Hogwarts.

The rules about this side, the side with the spirits and ghosts, have always been black and white. Nobody could see you, nobody could hear you, and you couldn't see any other spirit that you weren't related to or married to. Sometimes the rules stretched to best friends that were close enough to be siblings, but that typically didn't happen.

However, when Emery came to Hogwarts, the rules started to turn grey. Everything shifted, turning fucking sideways and inside out. Now, Nathan could talk to someone. Someone was able to see him. Sometimes, he could even see other spirits if Emery was talking to them and him. Sometimes she didn't even have to be there and he could talk to Tonks, Remus, and a few others. Everything started to be a little less lonely.

Nathan felt he owed Emery everything, the cinnamon haired little girl, acting all shy and innocent, with a small smile and bright eyes. He was protective over her, she was like his little sister, even though now she was about his age. He would always watch her, glare at the jackasses ( or just guys, if you wanted to call them that ) who went out with her, almost murder the people that hurt her.

He didn't know what would happen when Emery finished Hogwarts, leaving the castle for good, so he just chose to enjoy it while it lasted.

Sometimes he forgot that he'd been a ghost for seventeen years. It hurt, seeing the people he went to school with grow older, watch as their children came to Hogwarts, knowing that he would never have that life. He would never have children, a job, someone he loved that he could spend forever with. He was cursed to an eternity knowing that his sister didn't have a brother anymore, he couldn't protect her. His parents didn't have a son. His niece didn't have him as an uncle, she didn't know him. Forced to watch his namesake live, watching her smile and laugh, but only watching.

That's what he was doing now, actually, watching Natalie while she sat with her friends at lunch. He could see exactly how she looked like Ashley, his older sister. He knows Natalie doesn't know anything about him, Emery talked to her for him quite a few times.

"Still don't like Carter... I'm sorry, the 'Miller boy'." Emery sat down next to him, not talking too loud. Nathan just nodded, staying silent, staring at the Miller boy walk up to Natalie and start talking to her. A smirk covering his face and a small smile on Natalie's. "C'mon, let's go talk to her."

He lets Emery bring him over to Natalie, wishing nothing more than to beat up the Miller boy.

"Hey Natalie, Mil... Carter, Carter Miller." Emery grins at the two of them, the Miller boy sending an annoyed look at Emery. "Now, as nice as it is that you two are hanging out, I need to borrow Nat for a little bit. Bye Carter." Emery hooks her arm over Natalie's shoulder and practically drag her away. Once they were far enough away, she leaned down and whispered in Natalie's ear. "Really? Carter Miller?"